VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am thinking of getting a Blu-ray burner for my older Mac Pro 1,1. The computer runs great still.

I see that OWC has an internal option that seemingly will work on this computer and they also have external models.

Internal
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/LG/WH16NS40MP/

External
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UBDRW16/

My question is, which would be the better option? Would my performance be any different? I am thinking the external might be better as I can use it on other machines, but I am curious as to what people here think. Also, are there other brands I should consider instead?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The external lists the type number of the internal as the drive used. So the only difference is the enclosure.
    External has the benefit of using the drive on the other Macs, or perhaps your next Mac.
    The connection is SATA (internal) vs USB 3.0 (external). Your Mac has USB 2.0 ports, which would seem like a speed bottleneck, but I don't think this optical drive can read or write so fast at a sustained rate to clog an USB 2 connection.
    Your Mac is rumored to have a few SATA II expansion slots free (same type as used for the hard drive). “In the default configuration, one internal 3.5" bay is occupied by a hard drive and three are free, and one external 5.25" bay is occupied by a "SuperDrive" and the other is free. The no longer available Developer's Note also documented "two unpopulated 3 Gbps SATA buses for expansion".” I'm sure the OWC instructions will make this clear.
    The default optical drive might use a slower version of (P)ATA, as CDs and DVDs need less speed for playback, as was standard practice back then. Modern SATA drives need the thinner SATA cable, so you can't re-use the same connector as the old optical drive. Performance of this SATA I drive will not be restricted by the SATA II speed of the connection to the motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My laptop is older as well, but a fair bit newer than my tower as it is a late 2011 MacBook Pro. That is USB 2.0 as well I believe, so I am still torn as to what my better option would be, though I am thankful for the information from your post as it did help.
    Quote Quote