VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    OK, partly because of what I'm doing with Raspberry Pi2Bs, I've discovered a need for a couple things I just can't find.
    Mebbe I'm looking in the wrong places, or perhaps they are somehow impossible?

You are all familiar, I'm sure, with USB hubs. Well, one thing I need is the same, but for multiple microUSB connectors (to backpower USB HDs.

Also, I am getting concerned as all my traditional archive/backup methods are becoming hardware-obsolete. First DVD-burning, and now most devices that takes standard USB are disappearing before the tablet's price point. (Also, I've noticed that moving even half a terabyte from one device to another without USB3 can take up to a day- bummer!)

The new champ seems to be the microSD card for long term storage, and I could also use a small gizmo with more than one port for these cards.

The cloud is OK, but i don't want to pay for long term storage on the majority of my archived paperwork, projects and vacation pix...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't fully understand what you need (why you need multiple microUSB connectors), but does this help?
    http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    (Also, I've noticed that moving even half a terabyte from one device to another without USB3 can take up to a day- bummer!)

The new champ seems to be the microSD card for long term storage, and I could also use a small gizmo with more than one port for these cards.

The cloud is OK, but i don't want to pay for long term storage on the majority of my archived paperwork, projects and vacation pix...
    At first switch to eSATA for fast data transfer (or at least USB3) at second be careful with flash memories and start reading about "data retention" - flash memories data retention vary and for older technologies (bigger cells i.e. low capacity) it may be 10 years, for new, dense flash memories (cheap high capacity flash data storage's) it may be not even 2 - 3 years and in elevated temperatures (around 40 - 50 C deg) it may be even less than few months (or even few weeks).
    As you can see flash large data storage may not be optimal for long term backup.
    Cloud services are OK - more physically separate backups mean more safe backup. Perhaps not all your data have same importance level, consider to use compression both lossy and lossless to reduce overall lower amount of data.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hh-" I don't fully understand what you need (why you need multiple microUSB connectors),"
    The Pi 2B is quite something for quick little mobo; it has 4 USB 2 connectors, a Cat5, miniplug AV, and a HDMI out on a board the size of a deck of cards.
    It also has a microSD card slot for main memory & a single microUSB meant for a 5v power brick. The 2B draws only 2 watts nominal, enough to power flash drives, wifi dongles, keyboards and mouse; but not enough for all that and a mechanical hard drive. (There are also a couple dozen GPIO pins on board.
    It is a TinkerToy system, you can plug standard whatevers in & out without getting out your soldering iron- except for backpowering portable USB drives...
    (ordinary powered hubs are for standard USB connectors).

A useful page - thanks!

pandy- I'm using Samsung EVO 32G cards which I can get for around $13. I recently bought a WD 2Tb Passport Ultra which has a paltry 3 yr warranty (Seagate used to do 5, I thought that was skimpy), so I hear you on long term storage issues. Because even the standard SD card has gone away, the way of the Phillips cassette, the floppy disk and lately the DVD, I notice that microSD cards are standard in tablets, phones, and cameras. That last is why I think they will last long enough for the next big thing to come along, or for me to actually trust The Cloud, whichever comes first!:]

jagabo- as always helpful and concise!
    Quote Quote