VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I see that the WinTV takes a coax connection - is it possible to capture HD from a cable box with this device?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Only unencrypted QAM. Most cable companies are switching to encrypting all channels to force you to pay for their cable box. If you have a TV with a clear QAM tuner try it out and see what channels you get. At best you'll probably only get local broadcast channels and a bit of other junk.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My area actually requires boxes for any form of cable - I was wondering since I already have the box what would happen if I connected the cable -> cable box -> dualHD. Would I be able to capture TV from the box as if it were OTA?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
    My area actually requires boxes for any form of cable - I was wondering since I already have the box what would happen if I connected the cable -> cable box -> dualHD. Would I be able to capture TV from the box as if it were OTA?
    No. Coax out on a cable box doesn't supply a decrypted HD version of the channel being tuned.

Coax out on a cable box usually exists to allow someone to connect the cable box to old analog TVs and watch TV via the analog tuner.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Feb 2016 at 00:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry premiumcapture but it dose work that way
    usually_quiet is rigth the coax output on a cable box usually exists for preset channel like 3/4 for old analog tuners and the WinTV dualHD has no analog support what so ever.
    Quote Quote