VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My internal Blu-Ray is becoming an issue getting in the way of some of my PC components. I think at this point it would be better to switch to external drive and get rid of my internal drive. What is the best Blu-Ray drive on the market currently?

*Note* I do not want to do Sata 3 to USB, Since my internal Blu-Ray is very bulky and I have no where to put a drive that size.

My PC can Accept: USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1 and USB type C.

I saw this one that accepts both Type-C and USB 3.0. I never heard of the company.

Link: http://www.hornettek.com/external-optical-drives/hornettek-usb-c-usb-3-0-slim-external...ter-black.html

Would that be worth buying? or is their something better out on the market?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Most of the time I do not recommend slim type optical drives. They tend to be slower, and less durable over time. If you absolutely have to have one however, you might as well buy a Pioneer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-XD05S-Portable-Blu-ray-External/dp/B00T6WLFQQ

Personally, I'd get this Asus

or this LG if I had money to burn. Both are full sized Blu-ray burners, which you don't seem to want.

I've never heard of the one in your link, but it sounds like an extremely overpriced drive that is a rebadge...made by LG or Samsung probably.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would recommend the Pioneer BDR-XD05S (silver) or BDR-XD05B (black) as well, and I agree that slim optical drives in general are not going to last as long as full-height optical drives
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I would recommend the Pioneer BDR-XD05S (silver) or BDR-XD05B (black) as well, and I agree that slim optical drives in general are not going to last as long as full-height optical drives
    Is their a slimerish(If that's a word) in the full version drives? I'm a bit limit on space, due to size of my case.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    If you are looking for an external drive, why does the size of your computer case matter? Are you thinking of putting a slim drive into the case? Not going to work.

Most of the internal drives will be similar in size, with a few being slightly shorter. You don't save much space with the shorter ones, but sometimes it is enough to work in some smaller cases, like those designed for HTPC's. The full specifications should be available at the manufacturer site. For example, the current Pioneer internal Blu-ray burner is the 209, and here are the dimensions. In inches: 5.83 (W) x 7.09 (D) x 1.67 (H) or in millimeters: 148 (W) x 180 (D) x 42.3 (H)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    If you are looking for an external drive, why does the size of your computer case matter? Are you thinking of putting a slim drive into the case? Not going to work.

Most of the internal drives will be similar in size, with a few being slightly shorter. You don't save much space with the shorter ones, but sometimes it is enough to work in some smaller cases, like those designed for HTPC's. The full specifications should be available at the manufacturer site. For example, the current Pioneer internal Blu-ray burner is the 209, and here are the dimensions. In inches: 5.83 (W) x 7.09 (D) x 1.67 (H) or in millimeters: 148 (W) x 180 (D) x 42.3 (H)
    Since I'm going place it ontop of my case. Where my case is stored I have only so much room.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    If there is only a slot, with something just above the area of your computer case, you might not want that Pioneer to go there. It is a clamshell type of slim drive, and the whole top has to swing upward.

An alternative might be the LG WP50NB40
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ran into the same space problem and bought one of the LG drives that Kerry56 linked to in post #2. Works fine on USB3.
    Quote Quote