VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Do DVI female to 2x male splitters exist? I can only find DVI male to 2x female cables.

I am trying to capture video from a DVI male output cable running from a computer. (This is my only option. I cannot change the settings on the computer or change the cable, output settings, etc.) I need it to display on the monitor and also run to a DVI capture device I have. Using the DVI female Y splitter, I would have to attach a male/female converter to the male output cable, then attach the Y splitter, and another F/M converter for the monitor and a F/M converter to plug into the DVI (female) input device.

This seems like a lot of unnecessary steps when I could just use a DVI female to 2x male splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the do exist. I just went to Amazon.com and the have the exact cable for less than $9.00.
    Remember though DVI does not support audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
    Yes, the do exist. I just went to Amazon.com and the have the exact cable for less than $9.00.
    Remember though DVI does not support audio.
    Could you please send me a link? All I can find on amazon are M/FF splitters. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, missed the gender. What I found was M/FF.
    What other outputs do you have on the computer?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bmick23 View Post
    Do DVI female to 2x male splitters exist? I can only find DVI male to 2x female cables.

I am trying to capture video from a DVI male output cable running from a computer. (This is my only option. I cannot change the settings on the computer or change the cable, output settings, etc.) I need it to display on the monitor and also run to a DVI capture device I have. Using the DVI female Y splitter, I would have to attach a male/female converter to the male output cable, then attach the Y splitter, and another F/M converter for the monitor and a F/M converter to plug into the DVI (female) input device.

This seems like a lot of unnecessary steps when I could just use a DVI female to 2x male splitter.
    Very few people would have the same problem as you do. The cables you are finding are supposed to be attached directly to the source devices's DVI port. The idea is to split the signal as close to the source as possible, rather than near the destination. Splitting a strong signal is more effective. The splitter uses female connections for the split because male-to-male DVI cables are the most common type.

Passive DVI splitters don't seem to work very well. If you read the reviews, there are a lot of complaints. A powered female to 2 female splitter will probably work better. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Splitter-1920x1200-B116-002A/dp/B003SG9IOC/
    Quote Quote