VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone.
    My first post.

How do I fix a video to look the correct aspect ratio?

I recorded my gaming.
    I was playing my game at 5760x1080 resolution.
    I wanted to record my center monitor (of triple screen setup).
    My recorder showed 1920x1080 with the desktop recording area on the center monitor. I thought all was well.
    When I tried to play back the recording, with VLC, the video was squashed on the left and right sides, so everything looks too narrow.

I have tried changing the aspect ratio output of the video player, but I don't know what numbers to enter and the default list of aspect ratios doesn't substantially change how the video looks (still too narrow).

In the past, I remember just dragging a video player window and it would make the video look taller or fatter, depending on which way I dragged the window. I can't seem to do that anymore.

Help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2.png
Views:	221
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	35518
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    5760/1080 =5.33333 or 16:3. The true aspect ratio is probably 16:3, which is non-standard. PotPlayer is the only video player that I have tried which allows setting a custom aspect ratio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Set the pixel aspect ratio (aka sample aspect ratio) to 3:1 when you remux. Or set the display aspect ratio to 16:3.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You guys are gods!!! Thank you so much.
    This was the only race I won and ended up setting a record lap in the process. I was dreading it's loss.
    Thanks again.

I added it to VLC through: Tools/Preferences (click on Show settings All at bottom left) /Video/custom aspect ratios list [enter the desired aspect ratio]/Save

Now it is added to the list of aspect ratios that you can use during a playing video.
    Quote Quote