VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a phpBB (3.0.x) forum and it's got this mod installed called Advanced BBCode Box 3 and I can't get the FLV BBcode to work. Every time I try embedding a video with it, all I get is nothing (Firefox) or a blank white space (Chrome). I've tried embedding from four different sites now with no luck. I'm guessing if it doesn't matter which site I embed from, then it must be an encoding issue. Can anyone tell me how to properly encode flv videos to avoid getting a blank white space?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Embedding a video from a different webserver does not encode it, it only links to it as it exists there. There is no way to encode videos differently on external websites if you don't have access to these servers to exchange the video file stored remotely.

If you visit these videos on their original site, do they play well? And they only don't play when embedded in your forum? Then either your plugin is flawed, or these video hosters took measures to avoid embedding of their videos in other websites (like your forum).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Embedding a video from a different webserver does not encode it, it only links to it as it exists there. There is no way to encode videos differently on external websites if you don't have access to these servers to exchange the video file stored remotely.

If you visit these videos on their original site, do they play well? And they only don't play when embedded in your forum? Then either your plugin is flawed, or these video hosters took measures to avoid embedding of their videos in other websites (like your forum).
    You don't understand what I said. I don't know where you got the idea I thought linking to a video had anything to do with encoding. I never said that. I specifically said, "I'm guessing if it doesn't matter which site I embed from, then it must be an encoding issue."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not a video encoding
    Its a forum board programming permission issue
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Not a video encoding
    What do you mean? Can you clarify? Embedding flv's used to work fine for me. This issue just started in the last few days. It's my forum. I haven't changed any settings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Not a video encoding
    What do you mean? Can you clarify? Embedding flv's used to work fine for me. This issue just started in the last few days. It's my forum. I haven't changed any settings.
    What makes you think it's an encoding issue? Nothing you've stated suggests that to me. If you do the same thing as you did a week ago shouldn't it work? Or did you change whatever you did for FLV's ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Not a video encoding
    What makes you think it's an encoding issue? Nothing you've stated suggests that to me. If you do the same thing as you did a week ago shouldn't it work? Or did you change whatever you did for FLV's ?
    Well that's the thing, I don't know. I wasn't paying attention to the way I was encoding FLVs. I just know suddenly now they don't work. So I'm assuming I must be doing something differently, and I'm asking what are the right settings?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you keep saying "encode"
    are these your videos, you have encoded to flash and uploaded to a hosting site ?

its your website, fine but do you own the server, that is hosting the website
    there could be changes to that servers proticols or system settings, or perhaps they are in the middle of an upgrade ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    you keep saying "encode"
    are these your videos, you have encoded to flash and uploaded to a hosting site ?

its your website, fine but do you own the server, that is hosting the website
    there could be changes to that servers proticols or system settings, or perhaps they are in the middle of an upgrade ?
    I don't own the server, no. That's a good point. Thanks.

EDIT: It wasn't the server. It was my fault. I'd somehow deleted flashplayer.swf without realizing. I uninstalled and reinstalled Advanced BBCode Box 3 and everything's back to normal now.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 5th Feb 2016 at 23:29.
    Quote Quote