VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I am a totally newbie.
    Since i want to put all my DVD, BD and BD 3D on a NAS , i was looking for the ideal rippersoft like DVDFAB.
    My question is what are the best containers/videocodecs that i can use in DVDFAB.
    Wishes :
    Best quality (video and audio) = lossless ?
    all in 1 container with subtitles
    the size is not important
    I see in DVDFAB all sorts of containers : MKV, MKV passthrough, MKV.H265, MP4...3D MKV, 3D MKV.H265, .....HEVC....
    My UHD TV should be able to play MKV, AVI, ASF, MP4, 3GP,....( I tested only a MKV container and that played fine)
    I hope to find the best solution with the forums help.
    (sorry for my bad English)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If the size is not important, you can use MakeMKV to take your Blu-ray video and put them into MKV files, with no visual quality loss. You can keep subtitles if you wish. This is the simplest solution, but it has one drawback, in that not all hardware will recognize and play MKV files, especially those made with the VC-1 video codec straight from those few Blu-ray movies made with that codec.

MakeMKV will not change the codecs used in the output files, but it does have the ability to decrypt both Blu-ray and DVD's, and is free to use.

Most Blu-ray use H264, and most modern equipment will play MKV files using that codec. So it is best to make some test samples and see if your particular player can handle other types of MKV files, ones not only using the commonly seen H264, but also VC-1 and Mpeg2. If you use MakeMKV with DVD's you will get MKV files using Mpeg2, so you need to find out exactly what your equipment can play.

This slight uncertainty with MKV files is why many people convert to H264 and make MP4 files. And some people also use the videos on portable devices that require MP4. You will lose some visual quality if you re-encode while converting to MP4, but I don't believe DVDFab Ripper has the ability to pass through the video unchanged, even if you are starting with H264.

I've always had better luck using MKV files in my particular equipment, especially for playing subtitles. But again, that depends on what you are using for playback.

I don't work with 3D Blu-ray, so I'll let someone else address those.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 5th Feb 2016 at 13:27.
    Quote Quote