VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a Gigaware IDE/SATA external hard drive enclosure that accepts IDE & SATA drives. If you are using a IDE drive (or what I think is also called PATA?) you use the removable power cable and ribbon cable that comes with the enclosure. When you use a SATA drive, you simply slide the drive in the enclosure and the drive connects with the built-in plug/jacks (that are smaller than the IDE). When I use my IDE drive, my computer recognizes the drive and everything is fine (this drive already has data on it). When I plug in my brand new Seagate SATA drive, I can hear the audible beeps when you plug something in (like a flash drive etc), but I can't see the drive in My Computer. When I go to Devices and Printers, I can see it there called Mass Storage Device. With this being a brand new drive, do I have to format it? I did get the messages that said "installing software, your device is now ready" or something close to that. But I can't find any way to format it since the computer doesn't seem to recognize it.

But the story really begins here:

I ultimately wanted to buy a PATA drive. I have another external hard drive enclose that only accepts PATA drives (this is the main enclosure that I use). So I went to the local big box store and they don't sell PATA anymore. But I remembered I had another enclosure that accepts SATA (the Gigaware) so I bought a SATA hard drive. The instruction manual to the Gigaware enclosure calls the drive that needs the cables a IDE. But this style drive is the kind I use in my other enclosure (Acomdata). And that says it accepts IDE (ATA). I assume IDE and PATA are one in the same?

But bottom line I can't get my computer to recognize my new SATA drive. Please help

Jason
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    With this being a brand new drive, do I have to format it?
    Yes, but you have to partition it before you can see it in Explorer. Go to Disk Management and partition the drive there.

Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    I assume IDE and PATA are one in the same?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would check the Gigaware drive enclosure documentation to ensure that the SATA drive size does not exceed the drive enclosure capability. If it's within specification you should be able to format the SATA drive through "disk management." Just type "disk management" in the "Search programs and files" box. Be certain that you select the correct drive.

For all intents and purposes IDE (ATA) and PATA (Parallel ATA) are the same.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome! Formatting via Disk Manager worked. The drive is only 500g so I didn't think I went overboard on what the enclosure could handle.

Thanks jagabo & mail2tom for your help!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. You may convert PATA to SATA - PATA cable are definitely not designed to be frequently connected/disconnected.
    Quote Quote