VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is off topic, but important. I went to install Windows Updates on my Win 7 computer, but after selecting the updates and being returned to the main screen, I could only install Windows 10. On my other Windows 7 computer I had no problems. What gall Microsoft has!! However, there is a utility that defeats this: GWX Control Panel Monitor, a free download and it works!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you are saying microsoft update did not let you update your 7 machine? Your only option was to update to 10 or do nothing else?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just found this...sneaky buggers:

Nevertheless, in both cases the required files are already downloaded. This takes up several GBs even if the user doesn’t want to upgrade. Microsoft argues that the pro-active download makes it as easy and fast as possible to upgrade.

The distribution of Windows 10 as a ‘recommended update’ will be gradually, so not everyone at once will get the upgrade through Windows Update. On computers of users who have enabled ‘automatic updates’ the upgrade to Windows 10 will automatically start. To give users some control, there is still a screen asking if the user really wants to upgrade to Microsoft’s latest OS.

Users that are upgraded but want to revert their decision have 30 days to go back to their previous Windows version, after that period there is no easy way back.

Those that want to be sure that Windows 10 isn’t automatically installed can disable automatic installation of ‘recommend updates’ .

In October last year Microsoft already announced it would make Windows 10 a ‘recommended update’ at the beginning of 2016. Shortly before that announcement the free upgrade was accidently pushed to some users as an update that was automatically installed.

Optional updates are not checked by default, unlike recommended and important updates, which get automatically installed on most systems.

http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-now-recommended-update-on-windows-7-and-windows-8-...systems-78510/

WTF???

Everyone should turn off automatic updates I guess....
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is not breaking news on VideoHelp. It was reported in another Windows 10 thread yesterday. Plus Microsoft even announced in the fall of 2015, that in early 2016 they would be making Windows 10 a recommended update.

Yes, anybody using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 who wants to avoid being subjected to more arm-twisting from Microsoft regarding the Windows 10 upgrade should turn off automatic updates, or use a good Windows 10 upgrade blocker. It is likely to get worse from here on, since the migration to Windows 10 is not proceeding as quickly as Microsoft wishes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    news or not it is a good reminder....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that is what happened exactly on one machine. Only option, install Windows 10. With the fix I was able to update the Windows 7 updates without issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the "windows 10 when i want it" utility works nicely to block m$'s attempts at forced update. http://win10wiwi.com/
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. I blocked Win-updates already months ago....
    No Windows 10 for me as I dont like spyware collecting a lot of personal info.

Keeping my W7 up and running for as long as possible...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    the "windows 10 when i want it" utility works nicely to block m$'s attempts at forced update. http://win10wiwi.com/
    Why do they want my email address???
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I removed KB3035583, the update that installs Get Windows 10 app, and hid the update, and got the normal Windows updates this week, no Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jollyjohn View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Why do they want my email address???
    why not? they send a link to the download. it's their program and how they choose to distribute it. it stops direct linking to the file.

i have at least a dozen email addresses and some i use just to trap spam. make yourself a few if you're worried.

w10wiwi program works as advertised.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everyone should turn off automatic updates I guess....
    That's the FIRST thing I ALWAYS do after a fresh windows install.
    Quote Quote