VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If anyone has Win 10 (not Pro), please help and try to simulate reoccurring issue. I have 2 brand new machines so far from Dell. The o/s has been reinstalled a total of 5 times. I had not even used the 2nd machine before I retested. Any time I have ever searched "Regedit" for related software, if it's not there it will say "finished searching the registry. I will use "mediainfo" for the ex. To my knowledge the key exists 1 time on the new o/s. It will find it one time, then "find next" again the search will never end. Remind you this only happens on keys that are not in the reg. Please try to replicate this error. After 30 min, if I hit cancel it will say "Registry stopped working or responding ", whichever. It's not a hard ware issue, Dell attempted to swap both mb and hd with refurbished parts on a brand new PC. So they are prob sending me a 3rd machine with 10 Pro. Thanks
    Langley claims I am one of the most intelligent people on the planet, since when do they ever tell the truth.
    Quote Quote  
  2. After some research, regedit on windows 10 is broken, use another registry editor while microsoft fixes this.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/regeditexe-search-c...5d19eb8?auth=1
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for posting that. I told Dell that from the get-go. Actually the Dell rep told me to call Microsoft. Sure. I read most of the page. I am not as well versed as possibly you. From the post(s) did you gather that having Win10 Pro will eliminate this issue. I am not going through all these fixes. The whole o/s is bad imo. Hopefully Pro will relieve some of this stress. When the o/s was first installing on the 2nd machine it locked up on screen asking for Windows user name. Then it will not display the correct time. I know I live in ET, and it's not 1:30. On the first reinstall of the 1st machine, it locked up on 99% done, then we had to manually restart. On new machine , now it won't let the mouse go to where I want to type. I do think I messed one thing, which is beyond my comprehension. I renamed a file in registry. "lnkfile" contains key IsShortcut. I renamed to "xlsShortcut". It seemed to work on the "remove arrow fix". However, it took out the whole right click menu on the start button. I never even knew it was there. I put it back and now it's back to working. Unbelievable. I want XP, either that or I might spend a couple months learning how to use an APPLE.
    Langley claims I am one of the most intelligent people on the planet, since when do they ever tell the truth.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The current regedit can't handle some of the keys in the registry, it's a bug. I don't believe Microsoft ships a different versions of regedit in win10 pro. They will certainly fix this at some point. Dell can't help you, but if you don't have a skylake cpu you could ask for a downgrade to win 8.1 or 7 (they may or may not accept depending on your dell product).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Regedit, this is made by someone else besides Microsoft? So you are uncertain on the Pro version. What about the other errors, lock up on user name screen of initial setup. Am I really moving so many keys (assumption based on Dell tech saying Active folder was moved causing the right click menu not to work on start) by renaming that file -It's again possible since the "hack" was from a different version. In my defense the hack was done after reg problem and lock up and now mouse, On the 2nd reinstall on the 1st machine, Dell sent me a usb with an o/s, to elmininate the factor that it was installing a completely different one. I will let them send me Pro for certain, not that I need it. However, I don't want a machine either that locks up on initial set up. If regedit problem is still there, like you said quite possible, then I will alert Dell, or just wait on update. Either way, its broken in too many parts. I am not sure on cpu, it says Intel and AcPi from where I thought to look in dm. What's funny is this guy from wherever in the middle east called me, said he was from "Windows" used the same name "Mike" as the Dell Tech had, and then hung up after he told me that my computer was being hacked. Whatever, nothing here to steal. I am sure WF is insured.

What about the clock....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    regedit is Microsoft's own built-in registry editor. There are alternative registry editors available from third parties, such as Registrar Registry Manager 8.00, which are supposed to be Windows 10 compatible. ...but the safest thing would be to stop messing around with registry hacks until Microsoft fixes the bug in regedit.

I had a problem with the clock when I installed Windows 7 64-bit on my new PC last year. The time was set to GMT by default instead of my time zone in the US. There are ways to change the time zone in Windows 10 which do not involve using regedit: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6401-time-zone-change-windows-10-a.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    regedit is Microsoft's own built-in registry editor. There are alternative registry editors available from third parties, such as Registrar Registry Manager 8.00, which are supposed to be Windows 10 compatible. ...but the safest thing would be to stop messing around with registry hacks until Microsoft fixes the bug in regedit.

I had a problem with the clock when I installed Windows 7 64-bit on my new PC last year. The time was set to GMT by default instead of my time zone in the US. There are ways to change the time zone in Windows 10 which do not involve using regedit: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6401-time-zone-change-windows-10-a.html
    Maybe but I never used regedit on the clock nor the user screen, nor the mouse issue. I have used the "regedit tool" for many years. I agree it is safe to not touch, but I have never really had a problem. Only reason I was in there, was b/c "mediainfo" did not uninstall properly (the one w/out installer from VH). I used regedit after these problems were occurring. Thanks for your help, feel free to post anymore tips. It says the right time zone to my knowledge. I am going to stop at 3 machines, and do as you say for registry, let's just hope that Pro does not come with other probs.
    Quote Quote