VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everyone,
    I wonder if anyone can help me. I have some MKV files that are around 24 GB each and I'm looking for software that I can use to make a Blu Ray disc from them that can be played on a standard Blu-ray player. The MKV contains 2 audio tracks and many subtitles and I would like to convert to a standard Blu-Ray disc with menus for subs etc. and background music.
    Have looked around but have not really had any luck. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try multiavchd,it will do what you want,it will take a bit of learning and you need to have the right codecs installed such as ffdshow,java.As long as your mkv files are in the proper format such as 1920x1080 or 1280x720 then they won't need to re-encoded as long as they are within blu-ray specs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't need menus you could try TSmuxer. It's very simple to use but can't load some audio and subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. I would prefer to have the menus if posible. If the files do not need to be re-encoded then I assume the process will be faster.
    Will have a look at multiavchd and see what is involved.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also use bdtoavchd, avchdcoder and bdrebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to use bdtoavchd on an MKV file of 17 GB and it reported an estimated finish time of 25 hours ! Is this usual or am I doing something wrong ?
    Last edited by chang123; 5th Feb 2016 at 21:32. Reason: spelling mistake
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are shrinking/reconverting the mkv then yes it may take that long to convert 1080p video. You could try change the Speed vs Quality to superfast.

If you don't want to shrink then change the target media to BD-25.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont want to start a repeat thread, so Ill jump on to this post for some clarification. I just want to confirm I did it correcctly. I have a series of RAR files, unzipped and combined using 7zip into a resulting MKV file, demuxed it using tsMuxerGUI into an ISO file, then used imgBurn to burn to a Blu Ray. Ived compared screen grabs and there seems to be no loss of quality. Did I miss anything?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you just used tsmuxergui then will you NOT lose any quality.

And I hope you are downloading FREE movies...and not WAREZ movies.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, Harmy's 2.5 version.
    Quote Quote  
  11. BD-Rebuilder can take .mkv input and burn it onto a BD-R. I'm not going to ask where you got the content, but you may want to purchase the legit retail version in case the copyright owners come down on your for acquiring that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For almost a decade now we still get those who "acquired" some MKV file and want it to play on their blu-ray player, mostly from new members. Sigh. Ok. Here's my usual answer again...

The H.264 video in an MKV file is not enough to be standard. You need blu-ray specs with the H.264 video to play it in your blu-ray player, which includes resolution, fps, etc. This would need a re-encoding, and could hurt quality and would be much slower than a simple remuxing to M2TS in a blu-ray structure. You can try with a tool like tsMuxer, and it may work, even out of spec, but this would be nothing more than finger-crossing compatibility at best.

And even if the specs are still standard in the video, just having it in MKV alone breaks compatibility. The MKV container is not designed to mux important packets of info relevant to BD, such as metadata (IDK, delimiters, HRD, SPS, etc), necessary for blu-ray compatibility, particularly any calculations/data pertinent at the container level.

Sure, again, it may play, and likely would with the more lenient players of today that may have decoders for other formats, but again, it won't be standard, and any proper playback, as blu-ray video, would be nothing more than pure luck.

Only a full re-encode, with the right specs, ensures 100% blu-ray compatibility, without problems, and with any standard player.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote