VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't really see a forum for computer builds, so I thought I'd put this here.

I've been getting into video editing, and have a desktop (Windows 7 Pro, AMD A6-3650, 24GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 2TB Int, 5TB Ext, 1.5TB Ext) that works ok for me, I had it built in early 2012, so its doing OK for a 4 year old build.

The majority of my editing involves correcting some old home movies I had scanned professionally using a rank cintel. High quality scans, but my Dad didn't always have his 8mm movie camera set up right. That is what I am in tweaking. I am using Vegas 13 Pro (color and exposure and final rendering), and am just now learning and using Avisynth (for degraining mostly) and Virtual dub (mostly for Deshaker).

I realized I have a lot of downtime away from the house, and I could use that dead time doing the slow (but rewarding) process of cutting scenes, and correcting and such. So I'm thinking a laptop built for that sort of thing. All of the tools I use seem to work verrrrry sloooooow, but they do work. I'd like my laptop to hopefully do these processes even better than my desktop, as there are newer more powerful processors available now.

My main focus is the main processor and the video processor. Are there any "benchmarks" I should strive for in looking at these? I think I read where a quad core with a slightly lesser speed is better for our purposes than a dual core? Things to look out for like that. Also, the video processor. Is there a level of power I should try to attain?

Of course I'll be looking for thinks like a decent sized HDD, ability to hold 16 or 32 Gig of RAM, USB3, etc.

Also, the screen. Do I need something real high end? All I need it to do is represent true colors so my corrections have a good base. I have a color monkey for calibration purposes.

I entertained having one built for about a second, but knowing there is no standard like the ATX standard for desktops, rrealized I had to look at something already made.

My target is something a $1000 or less, although I could go higher if the object in question is a real smoking machine.

Thoughts anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want a custom laptop there is Sager, build quality is average so use a laptop bag or shell, but the electronics is usually excellent and they are easy to fix. You can roam around notebookreview for user comments. Some models have decent gpus, have a look.
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP3240.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This thread is probably better in our Computer Forum. That mostly covers hardware. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    This thread is probably better in our Computer Forum. That mostly covers hardware. Moving you.
    Thank you, I didn't see this sub-forum earlier when I looked.
    Quote Quote