VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First, Im sorry if this is the wrong sub section for this, mods feel free to move it to an appropriate place.
    Second, im not even sure if this is the right forum for this question, its the only place i could think of that might be able to help. plus its better that asking Twitter, right

I deleted a video file(.ts) off of my computer (emptied the recycle bin) only to find out that I need it. I've tried using recovery programs to get it back but none of them have found ANY .ts files (and i've deleted a lot of them).

The programs in question are: Easeus DRW, Recuva, DiskDigger, Asoftech Data Recovery, iSkysoft Data Recovery and Easy Drive Data Recovery. All of those programs have found files from a few months ago(October) and even some that are over a decade old but no .ts files. Nothing has been installed on the drive that i'm trying to recover from(c drive) and all of the programs have been installed to an external drive (d drive)

im starting to think that the file never existed...am I missing something? Is there a superior program that i can use?

Note: The file is around 30 min. long and about 3gb large
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's two more programs to try:

Zero Assumption Recovery (Used this myself)
    GetDataBack (Highly regarded here)

You may not have installed any programs on the drive but if you have written anything to it since the file(s) were deleted it reduces the chance of full recovery.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You may want to look more specifically at "undelete" apps. While undelete & recovery apps have a good deal of overlap, undelete is designed for just your scenario, whereas recovery has more to do with deleted partitions/reformatted drives, or with corrupt/fragmented data.

So, I would expand your search terms, IIWY.

But, as mentioned, DO_NOT_MODIFY the drive that the file(s) was on, undelete/recover to a different volume, and completely avoid the possibility of overwriting your data areas (w/ data file saves, installs...).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You may want to look more specifically at "undelete" apps. While undelete & recovery apps have a good deal of overlap, undelete is designed for just your scenario, whereas recovery has more to do with deleted partitions/reformatted drives, or with corrupt/fragmented data.

So, I would expand your search terms, IIWY.

But, as mentioned, DO_NOT_MODIFY the drive that the file(s) was on, undelete/recover to a different volume, and completely avoid the possibility of overwriting your data areas (w/ data file saves, installs...).

Scott
    Im currently running a Zero Assumption Recovery scan so im waiting to see if that come up with anything but I did a quick search and some undelete apps are ones ive tried already(Easeus & Recuva). i found one called NTFSUndelete, is that one any good or is there a better one i should look into?

and ive made sure not to modify the drive, most searches and downloads are done on my laptop as to prevent that sort of thing
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, you already tried Recuva. "Undelete", Undelete360, Glary Undelete, WinUndelete, are pretty good. Probably also NTFSUndelete.

Assuming you do freeze the original volume, there's nothing stopping you from trying many/all of the above, create multiple "versions" and doing a bitwise compare.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Well, you already tried Recuva. "Undelete", Undelete360, Glary Undelete, WinUndelete, are pretty good. Probably also NTFSUndelete.

Assuming you do freeze the original volume, there's nothing stopping you from trying many/all of the above, create multiple "versions" and doing a bitwise compare.

Scott
    I ran all of those you mentioned and a couple of them found .ts files from 01/13 and 01/27 but the one im looking to recover was created 01/30 and deleted the next day(01/31). im not sure if there is anything else i can do. should i start to consider it gone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My go to program to recover deleted files is PhotoRec. It was designed to recover deleted pictures on flash drives, but will work on any drive with any file type. Works well even when the drive has lots of fragmentation. No gui is available so you have to use a command line but it's simple enough, just need to follow the step by step.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    My go to program to recover deleted files is PhotoRec. It was designed to recover deleted pictures on flash drives, but will work on any drive with any file type. Works well even when the drive has lots of fragmentation. No gui is available so you have to use a command line but it's simple enough, just need to follow the step by step.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
    just used that and it found some files...and by some i mean over 1600 .ts files, no longer that 1-2 minutes long. is there a way to match them up or do i have to match them manually cause a majority of them are less than 10 seconds long

EDIT: never mind, i just realized i saved over an audio file i needed as well so this has been for nothing. but never the less, thank you guys for all your help really appreciated it. i should probably leave a sticky note on my monitor as a constant reminder to always check before i delete/overwrite...
    Last edited by raveclash; 2nd Feb 2016 at 22:19.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi Raveclash, few days back I was stuck in the same situation; really it is very annoying when we permanently lost our important documents. But after some Google search I got to know that there are so many 3rd party tools available online that can recover deleted files. The best part is some tools are free to use like Stellar data recovery free edition, recuva and many more.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have tried several free ones and gave up. Ended up purchasing "File Scavenger". Works well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried to restore your system to an earlier point?
    Quote Quote  
  12. There are many software can recover your video. I know one of method.
    How to Recover Deleted Files from Recycle Bin
    Quote Quote