VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need to be able to connect 3 microphones to my computer. Sometimes, the audio can be combined but there are times when I would like it to be saved as separate audio tracks. I have seen some low end USB mixers but I don't know enough about the technology to tell me if this will do what I want or not.

What about this one? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q802USB?adpos=1o4&creative=55678035481&device=c...xvkaAjID8P8HAQ

What should I be looking for to indicate that the mixer will connect to the computer via usb and will allow me to save the inputs as separate tracks? or is this possible for under $150?
    Last edited by Haopengyou; 1st Feb 2016 at 14:36.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The product you referenced says "stereo out on usb". So if you wanted to get creative, you could record 1 Mic on the left channel, and 1 on the right. But you probably want a multitrack recorder instead.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  3. The sub $300 records all say that they can only record 2 channels at a time. Is this a function of the cost or will I find it in all of these recorders?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Based on cost.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Haopengyou View Post
    The sub $300 records all say that they can only record 2 channels at a time. Is this a function of the cost or will I find it in all of these recorders?
    All $300 or less recorders will only record 2 channels at once. Even those that advertise 4 or more tracks only allow one stereo recording, in real time. You need to spend upwards of $300 for a true multitrack recorder (like THIS for example )

Mixing USB mics is not a very simple, or even a very good idea. Forum threads like THIS will give you an idea of what's involved... not good (or cheap!)

A USB mixer like the Behringer one you linked to only has a stereo ('2 buss') output...

For low budget, you're probably better off getting a pair of 2 track recorders like THIS -- Then 'sync' the audio recording with a clapperboard, and import and mix the 4 tracks in a multitrack audio editor in your computer --

(AUDACITY can do that, and is free)
    Last edited by pippas; 2nd Feb 2016 at 19:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    i guess they are expensive.

i just was in same thing like you.
    i get one alesis firewire multimix 8 , its an old and discontinued version of alesis , but it able to record 8 separte tracks
    i bought it for 120 in ebay.

its works under windows 8-10 but , usually its need update firmware , using windows xp.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Haopengyou View Post
    I need to be able to connect 3 microphones to my computer. Sometimes, the audio can be combined but there are times when I would like it to be saved as separate audio tracks....
    There is likely nothing that can record to more than 2 channels for $150. This one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600773-REG/Zoom_R16_R16_Multi_Track_Recorder.html costs double but can record to 8 separate tracks at once to an SD card (after recording is finished, the 8 inputs/mics/tracks appear as 8 *.wav files in the SD card, ready to be dragged to your audio editor (16 tracks if two R16s were daisy-chained)), and you don't need your PC with all of the attendant USB and driver issues to record.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote