VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently did a build of a new PC using the asRock z97 pro MB that has 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 2 PCI slots available to me.

I'll be using this machine to convert SD video from video tape to digital format. I have an older ati PCI tv tuner/video card that I've used in the past to convert video. My results were ok. (not great)

Since I have a new machine, I am looking for advice on some newer video&audio converter card that are PCIe 3 or PCIe 2 compatible.
    My goal in this upgrade is to get a card with as much video processing hardware as necessary and minimize CPU overhead. My overall goal is to optimize all the video processing components along the processing chain. Finding a video card with good signal processing hw on it is one step along the way. Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, I have both Pinnacle Studio 16 and Sony Movie Studio 13 as my editing software. Having used Pinnacle versions 11 and 12 before, and living through their flakiness and low quality, I am probably going to try the Sony product.

I am really trying to avoid problems that ppl have known solutions, such as video & audio out of synch, dropped frames, etc. Onboard video processing and high bus bandwith are two areas that the video card should excel at.

Best regards
    John

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are no new PCI or PCI-e capture devices able to do a better job for SD capture than a good USB capture device. USB 2.0 bandwidth limitations are not a much of a consideration today unless you are capturing HD sources. Some people here who are serious about VHS capture and restoration, or even do it for a living, say that their old XP system with an AGP slot for installing an ATI All-in-Wonder card out performs the up-to-date PC hardware they own for for VHS capture.

You might want to read this recent thread for VHS capture recommendations to use with a modern system. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376375-Capture-card-for-VHS-and-coaxial-%28TV%29-advice-for-VHS

3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    three jeeps, Do not post the same topic on several forums.
    Please do not cross post, once is enough.

Continue in: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376877-Video-audio-capture-card-recommendation-soug...24#post2432124

Moderator redwudz