VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Hello Guys and gales I just got the Sony HVR-M15AU DV/DVCAM/HDV deck and trying to set it up, The problem I'm having is I couldn't get the S-video input on the back of the deck to show up on my computer using firewire, The computer detects the deck under win 7 and installs the necessary drivers but using VLC capture device feature I can see the deck there and click on it but I don't see any video just black screen, Also no video coming out of the s-video out of the HVR-M15AU deck, I can only see the menu items, And yes I tested the video coming out of my S-VHS VCR and it is working fine. I havn't tried tapes yet but I do want to have video in feature to work properly otherwise it will return to the seller if proven defective.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe it's in HDV mode and won't pass a standard def signal. maybe the record button has to be activated to pass the signal. Maybe you don't have the input selected properly on the deck. Given the information you've provided, there's a lot of room for guessing.

edit: There are a number of settings that have to be in the right position and a specific order of plugging-in and powering-on your machines. It's listed in the manual.
    Last edited by smrpix; 31st Jan 2016 at 15:16.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I did follow the manual, it is not working, unless it requires professional software, I've had a lot of DV decks and camcorders and they all worked with VLC, WinDV and VertualDub just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Have you tried recording directly from your VCR to a tape in the deck and seeing if that works? Forget the FW to computer for the moment to try to isolate the issue.

Conversely, have you tried playing a recorded tape from the deck to the computer?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Mystery solved, Stupid me, I had a PAL video source while the unit was set to 60i. As soon as I changed it to 50i everything worked just fine even the firewire output to the computer, I should have thought that this is a pro deck not a plug and play consumer device, Well at least now I know that the deck is fine and no need to return it to the seller, Thanks smrpix for trying to help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. A lot of items to check and double-check. Glad you got it working.
    Quote Quote