VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick question-
    a friend just got a Lollipop Android tablet and wants to exchange/archive her pictures with her older camera which only takes the larger old SD card.
    I got her a Samsung Evo microSD in the adapter and thought 'problem solved'.

Except that the tablet doesn't seem to have any 'Eject' function to protect the card while writing. On my RPi2, there is always chatter about killing the SD memory card by not waiting for it to stop a housekeeping cycle.

Any concern here? She is the type that the hot swapping term was invented for...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post

Any concern here? She is the type that the hot swapping term was invented for...
    You have solved the technical side of the issue. What remains is human engineering.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is EJECT function, settings/storage ... I use it if removing card, but I can imagine most don't ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, as _AL_ says, all recent versions of Android allow you to "eject" the removable memory (listed as UNMOUNT usually), in Settings/Storage.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The simple to remember method is
    Totally turn off tablet ... Remove card
    Insert card turn on tablet
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys; very helpful.
    Do you s'pose there is a way to put a shortcut to there on the Android desktop? If only to remind her?:]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are "mount/unmount" apps that you could put a shortcut to on the desktop (though many of them are built to auto-remount). But how much simpler do you really need to be? - just teach the steps and explain the (possible) consequences if they aren't followed.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a person who now has all their 7000 and some photos since 2005 on one microSD (10.5 Gigs on a 16G Evo); she wants to do some housekeeping (few are even named) on it on her brand new Android tablet with rarely used Google Picassa. What could go wrong?
    Transferring them first to the 32G internal memory is too complicated to learn, apparently...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are some people who came late to the computer, and are unable to mentally separate things like drives, the internet, OS vs apps; even using START to shut down a computer can faze them... it amounts to techno-magic to them.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IF this is a good friend
    i suggest you buy another card your self
    stick both in an "external card reader" on a PC
    hit the copy button, and goto Dinner
    this way there will be a safe backup, before anything else happens
    infact this might be the best way
    connect camera to one USB port
    connect tablet to a second port
    start the file copy process and walk out of the room

Family friend ? you and the wife take her to dinner
    7000 pix, could take all night
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I just got this cool device at garage sale (for $25!!): Wolverine backup. Does 1-button copy of variety of memory cards to 1TB HDD, then PC/Mac USB2 connectable (so YOU could assist with archiving, etc. ).
    While the list is more like $150, this sounds like the level of backup that could work for your friend.

Scott
    Quote Quote