VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I'm looking for a video player to complement my one-man band project. Basically, I will be playing songs on the guitar, using live looping techniques and lots of effects, and I would like that to be accompanied by video projections behind me.

How I imagine it could work:

I would have several short videos prepared for each song. Ideally, I would now create a playlist for each song in my set, containing of, let's say, 4-5 videos each. As I progress through an individual song, I would need to be able to switch to the next video in the song's playlist by hitting a single button. More importantly, however, I would need to be able to define that, for instance, video 1 loops indefinitely until said button is pressed. Video 2 could be a one-shot transition. Video 3 could be a loop again etc. etc.

Why do I need this? Since my performance will make use of live-looping and contain many ambient effects as well as spontaneous elements, I cannot use a video that has a fixed runtime. So I would progress from part to part by switching to the next video when I'm ready. The loop function would be essential.

I've researched software for the last few days, but I haven't come up with anything useful. I'd be glad for any pointers or suggestions on how to realise what I want to do.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no market demand for a consumer-level product that will do what you want, so don't expect something cheap and easy on the hardware. If you have a rational budget, you might want to check out one of the Newtek Tricaster models.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I would solve this problem by "hard looping" the videos that need to repeat. In other words, I would create one file that was the same video repeated X times, where X is the maximum number of required loops. Then all you have to do is press a "Next" button, which is found on any player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, the Newtek Tricaster models are out of my price range, and I would like to keep things simple. So yes, I also had the idea of simply creating a pre-edited video loop that's long enough for me to finish up my musical part. I guess I'll be using VLC player then (hitting "n" for the next video).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I thought you were talking about limited hardware media players. If you're on a full computing platform, there are other solutions. You can use AppleScript to make iTunes do what you want, although you'll need a workaround to turn Repeat on and off. The VLC player has a LUA add-on for scripting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would suggest a VJ ("video jockey") software. A simple Google search brought up a number of apps (resolume, arkaos, modul8, avmixer pro...) that ought to do what it seems you are referring to.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry for not being clear enough in my initial post. Yes, I just want a laptop on stage to do what I want. If VLC can do it, all the better! I'd like to keep things simple. Let's see if I can get those scripts to work. Thanks for the tips, JVRaines!

I'll also look into the apps you've suggested, Cornucopia. If there's a ready-made software with all the functions I need, that would be ideal, of course.
    Quote Quote