VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys-

I have a friend whose daughter sent her an iphone vid that was shot as a vertical rectangle, not horizontal like a computer screen.

As it is of her grand-daughter, it is pure gold to her, but it displays sideways on her screen; even tho when she forwarded it to me, it displayed vertical (my default player is VLC).

Just wondering... is there is something like the 'Rotate' button found in most photo software, only that permanently works on phone vids?

(btw, she has an 'antique' XP Acer that I got running Ubuntu 14.4 LTS for her when her security suite support ended. Never save a computer's life, then you are always responsible for it. )
    Last edited by ahhaa; 26th Jan 2016 at 08:39. Reason: clarity & charity
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

Do you plan on doing it yourself ? Do you know anything about videoprocessing ?
    Something like ffmpeg can rotate videos easily, if you know CLI-based processing.
    To Rotate 90 degrees clockwise:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i INPUT -vf transpose=1 -c:a copy OUTPUT
    To Rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i INPUT -vf transpose=2 -c:a copy OUTPUT
    If you're not familiar with ffmpeg, and looking for something more intuitive, Baldrick posted this few days ago :
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376266-How-to-rotate-flip-any-video-with-Xmedia-Recode

You only had to search a bit more

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. Quicktime player can rotate the video without recompressing it. I believe you need the pro version.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to rotate the video and send it back to her
    There is nothing you can do for her pc unless you can install vlc on her pc and show her how to use it
    Which is probably the best idea
    There will be more of these vertical videos from her granddaughter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, fast work!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    'There will be more of these vertical videos from her granddaughter'

good point !:]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depending on the model, it might actually be easier to just rotate the screen!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you want to fix it and remove the black bars on the sides i recommend vidcoder. it has a manual crop with preview so you can judge how much to remove from both sides and a rotate 90 degrees function to make it display correctly. free and doesn't take too long to figure out. just make sure to turn on the 90 degree rotate before cropping or you'll be removing the wrong parts.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Depending on the model, it might actually be easier to just rotate the screen!

Scott

Or the operator....
    Quote Quote