VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I use Nero to make my vcd's.
    What is the most time i can fit on a 700MB(80min) CD-R without losing quality? And how can I accomplish this(i.e. if it requires special settings)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not a pro in this matter, but I as a guide a can tell you that as most of VCD's are created at 1150 Kbps, in an 80 MB CD you can safe store about
    60-69 minutes movie, my suggestion is based on just a mathematic operation.

Remember its just a guide...

eroso..
    Quote Quote  
  3. As Churchill famously predicted when Chamberlain returned from Munich proclaiming peace in his time: "You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thus far doing an xVCD, the longest i've done is 120 mins,, but kwag just did a Matrix rip clocking 136 mins..

zTr
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by El_Mero_Zooter
    Thus far doing an xVCD, the longest i've done is 120 mins,, but kwag just did a Matrix rip clocking 136 mins..

zTr
    Yeap!, sure did!. Actually I'm testing it right now in my portable DVD player!.

But *** DANGER WIL ROBINSON ***
    Not all 120+ minute movies will fit!. Matrix is a good example of high compression because of the dark tones throughout the movie.
    So it compresses well.

Others, even less than 120 minutes, won't fit.
    It all depends of contrast/brightness/noise/action etc. etc. etc...

Too many factors to predict final file size with CQ.

Would love to hear if anyone has done "Pearl Harbor".
    It's 3 hours long, but about 60% of the movie is drama, so I wonder what the final size would be.

kwag
    KVCD.Net - Advanced Video Conversion
    http://www.kvcd.net
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by objectseven
    how good does a xvcd look?
    Take a look at the link in the signature below.

kwag
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by objectseven
    How do i burn a XVCD?
    Use VCDEasy or Nero. And turn OFF compliance checks.
    Read Sefy's guides in this site.

kwag
    Quote Quote  
  8. i was rip the Matrix with DVDF2VCD and i left me with 3 files? 2 that were about 770 meg and one thats about 900 meg. what do i do? :-?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by objectseven
    i was rip the Matrix with DVDF2VCD and i left me with 3 files? 2 that were about 770 meg and one thats about 900 meg. what do i do?
    Again You read Sefy's guides in this site.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Kwag,

Just dropping a line to say thanx for your template. Just finished a rip of Point Break, 120 mins, cq 70, up to 2k video, 128 audio, 743 mb, playz awesome on the PC. Did the same movie as a test as an svcd, 813mb, still one cdr, 480x480, complaint, and the quality is very similar. Other than the aspect ratio that is. The svcd cut off about thirty secs of the movie. Whereas your template included the credits as well. The first mpg1 rip was a test at 112k audio and 800 vid, the quality was still very good and it only came out at 600 megz.

The problem im having is that my apex doesnt like the mpg1 vbr. It plays it very choppy, stops, then starts, is in synch then its off synch, then its in synch. Even changed the framerate to 29.97 , the synch was way off, almost like two dayz.

I was so close to finding a solution too. I'm set with a method to do kick azz svcd's, so no prob there. But my other dvd player, panasonic Dv-R31, won't play svcd's. And thats the one that i need a method for. So, im gonna test these rips on it....

Thanx again, ese
    ZtR
    Quote Quote  
  11. I can get 74min on an 80min cdr capturing at 1.5kbps, now I capture 1.43kbps and can do 65 min on the cd. I don't have overburn ability..
    Quote Quote  
  12. 1st trial run:

Pearl Harbor
    disc 1- 2 hrs= cq 70, 2k vid, 128 audio
    764 mb

disc 2- 1hr = cq 70, 2k vid, 128 audio
    375 mb (or thereabouts)

2nd trial run:

(it's in the oven)

zTr
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by El_Mero_Zooter

2nd trial run:

(it's in the oven)

zTr

Did it burn up!

kwag
    Quote Quote  
  14. Kwagzter,

I got it dude,, Ya gotta look into patenting your template or somepin!

Unbelievable,,, it fit...
    plus there's room for a couple of trailerz and then some on the 74min cdrw.

ZTR
    Quote Quote  
  15. wtf---refers to the discussion on Pearl Harbor, and trying to fit it on one cdr to see the trade-off or the margins between compression/time(in mins)/quality etc... Kwag was working on compressing different movies, to see how well they compress and seeing if it was possible to fit more than say, 136 mins, onto 1 cd using his template.

Pearl Harbor did compress well. All 3 hours of it.

zTr
    Quote Quote  
  16. Dude, if you did indeed manage this then could you be so good as to provide a clip??? I'm sure Kwag would be happy to host it if you manged to do this......
    Quote Quote  
  17. bil,
    im telling ya man, i didnt think it was possible but using his template and tweakin' away it compressed down..
    I gotta get a hold of kwag, {dude, email me}, and ill send him some samples.

I gotta find a place to put some picz or somepin'. I'll see if i can cut some clipz to post somewhere.

damn, release da houndz kwagz,,,,

ztr
    Quote Quote  
  18. If you want to make a fully complinat VCD disk, then 98min and 59 sec. is the maximum you can get on one disk. However, not all burners and players will play 99 minute CD-R's.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I fit Pearl Harbor onto 1 CD!!!

I cut out the sappy romance story, and kept the action scenes....

What? Did you think I actually kept the WHOLE thing???
    Quote Quote  
  20. I dont even think ill watch.
    But it was a fun test while it lasted.
    Damn, Kwagster, see what a monster you created ! j/k

ztr
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi El_Mero_Zooter:

If the file sizes you got are correct for the 2 CD-R's, then I guess that a change in the template to 352x240 will then be about 800MB.

So yes, with those changes, "Pearl Harbor" fits!.

Am I right?.

If that's the case, then the quality will still be better than a VCD because of the high bit rate ( 2,300Kbps ) MAX in the template.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

kwag
    Quote Quote  
  22. Kwag, he's posted some samples in this thread :-

http://forum.vcdhelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=87862
    Quote Quote  
  23. Kwag,
    when i get home, ill looked thru the tmpgenc log, can't recall the exact settings, but they were tweaked down somewhat.

Here's how the linkz break down:

------------Link 1------------
    This pic shows the vcd template in nero with all the files loaded up and ready to burn. On the menu i added a small clip from another movie, as a pseudo trailer, and then loaded both files A & B, those are the whole 3 hr movie. Nero still shows a few minutes left till it hits its capacity 74 mins (the yellow marker). I was really surprised when it fit on a 650 mb cdrw.
    On the right you see the files and their file sizes.

Screenshot
    http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/e7b8c669/bc/Mpegz/PearlHarbor_SampleJPG.zip?bcWN6D9AORVBgPAX

------------Link2 ------------
    This is a sample from the first mpg file A filesize=467,454,008, 467 mb's.
    The first DVD disk, of the set, has the first 2 hours of the movie. That's where this clip was from.

Dvd disc 1 -
    http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/e7b8c669/bc/Mpegz/Pearl_1_Sample.mpg?bcor5D9Ac7udGFNS

------------Link3 ------------
    On the second DVD disc we find the 3rd hour of the movie. File B filesize=261,036,328, 261 mb's is the last hour and the one in which i had to remux to fix the headers as tmpgenc 2.53, did not encoded it right the two times i tried it. What's this about 28 more days to use the MPG2 feature. The older versions i use never had this....anyone.....??
    So, this clip is from that third hour or second mpg file.

Dvd disc 2
    http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/e7b8c669/bc/Mpegz/Pearl_2_Sample.mpg?bcor5D9Awpa1tHy7

These were done after my second trial run.
    (see the middle of this thread...)

If you, Kwag, or anyone, want a longer clip to test on their dvd players, i can cut some, but have no other site to host them other than the restricted yahoo briefcase. So, let me know...and sorry about the url confusion.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Kwag, your templates are indeed cool, and I've done some very smart-looking movie rips with them so far.

I usually burn with Nero, but lately my Panasonic DMRE20 has been skipping every few seconds playing these movies back, so I switched to VCDEasy. Interestiingly, Roxio VideoPack 5 complains that these MPEGs are non-standard, but 90% of the time it burns them anyway without modifying them. The other 10% of teh time, it either demuxes and remuxes them or occassionally it tries to do a full re-encode.

Anyone any idea why two encodes of pieces of the same footage would generate files which seem to be slightly different, or is it just Videopack being crap? :-)

Tachyon.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I dont know if it helps, but I stopped encoding both the audio and video together when using Kwags template and do them seperately. I then remux with TMPGenc 12a which seems to keep them in sync. Never had any problems with playback since
    Quote Quote  
  26. Oh, I don't get any problems with sync, the finished MPEGs are absolutely fine right through to the end. The problem is that VideoPack incessantly moans that the mux rate is too high and then 90% of the time burns the damn disc perfectly anyway. Weird.

Tachyon.
    Quote Quote  
  27. If you Tmpeg from an AVI the file is only marginally smaller, Is it ness to encode it to standard VCD then use the template to rencode it to a smaller file, also will it help resolution if you capture in 352X576 first then encode?, And finally how do you use the template to rencode SVCD
    Quote Quote