VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Turns out nothing is safe if it is attached to the web. Read the part about how it affected the cloud company's other users on the server as well, not just the firm reported. That is why offline backups are the only back up strategy, and why all my data are "nestled safely" in my desk on DL BD-R.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/01/ransomware-a-threat-to-cloud-services-too/

Oh and long live Phil Hartman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql5i6V0TMFU
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, next time I tell someone "the cloud is evil", I have one more reason. There are soooooooooo many OTHER reasons to begin with that I've avoided using this "cloud nonsense" in the first place.

Now we have this.

Yes, "the cloud is evil".
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am not a hater of the cloud. When I think of how many of my friends have lost a year's worth of pics because they are less than computer savvy, the cloud is a blessing. My main complaint is: it just doesn't work if you are a video producer. In the USA, most consumers can only afford an asynchronous broadband connection, which means uploading a 20 GB video file takes 30+ hours. Not to mention when I need that 20 GB file, I don't want to wait two hours for it to download either. It is great for pics you snap on your phone. But it doesn't scale, a critical aspect of any tech.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    I am not a hater of the cloud. When I think of how many of my friends have lost a year's worth of pics because they are less than computer savvy, the cloud is a blessing. My main complaint is: it just doesn't work if you are a video producer. In the USA, most consumers can only afford an asynchronous broadband connection, which means uploading a 20 GB video file takes 30+ hours. Not to mention when I need that 20 GB file, I don't want to wait two hours for it to download either. It is great for pics you snap on your phone. But it doesn't scale, a critical aspect of any tech.
    To me, the cloud concept is sold as a convenience offering, and feasts on the consumer-centered and the "lazy and ignorant" when it comes to computer tech.

But that's where its advantages end. There is no further technical benefit.

And that's where the kindness in its privilege to service ends. There are too many nefarious plots, via host or intervening party, I can think of that can exploit this privilege, and not just with what's mentioned here.

I still say "the cloud is evil".
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote