VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recorded something with Snagit. It is only half the length given here as i left it recording after it finished. It is very choppy and i cannot understand how the frame rate is given as 1.256 fps. Can I change the frame rate

General
    Complete name : H:\******.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 166 MiB
    Duration : 2h 25mn
    Overall bit rate : 160 Kbps

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L4
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=5
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Source duration : 2h 27mn
    Bit rate : 62.2 Kbps
    Width : 1 196 pixels
    Height : 626 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.911
    Frame rate : 1.256 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.066
    Stream size : 64.6 MiB (39%)
    Source stream size : 64.7 MiB (39%)

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Channel positions : Front: C
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 99.5 MiB (60%)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Remux with Mp4Muxer and mark the frame rate whatever you like. But if your video is really 1.2 fps and you speed it up to, say, 30 fps, it will go zipping by really fast.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Remux with Mp4Muxer and mark the frame rate whatever you like. But if your video is really 1.2 fps and you speed it up to, say, 30 fps, it will go zipping by really fast.
    Did that but still choppy.Seems the fps cannot be changed
    Quote Quote  
  4. If there are missing frames, speeding it up won't fix that. When you check the 'new' version in MediaInfo, is it shown to be 30fps or whatever you set it at?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If there are missing frames, speeding it up won't fix that. When you check the 'new' version in MediaInfo, is it shown to be 30fps or whatever you set it at?
    No still 1.256 fps.

What is 1.256 -1256?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 19th Jan 2016 at 15:01.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    No still 1.256 fps.
    Then you didn't do it right. Demux the video stream then mux it into an MP4 with MP4Muxer. Before saving set the frame rate to whatever you want, 30, 50, 60... (you can type values in as well as using the pulldown). Save to a new file.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Jan 2016 at 07:28.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I cannot see how to work that program. Where to load the video. It will not drag across. I get please select elementary stream to multiplex when i click multiplex. Last night I was able to get a h264 and an aac file using this program as far as i recall

I have tried reencoding to mpeg4 at 30fps with HandBrake and media info says 30fps but it is still jerky and the quality is very bad. Snagit only records at 15 fps. So does that mean it cannot be changed? It was recorded from thew screen with snagit 11

I tried loading into vegas but there is no video only sound. I googled https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIJQ6cX7deE said i should get FFDSHOW codec. Is that a safe codec?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 20th Jan 2016 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    I cannot see how to work that program. Where to load the video. It will not drag across.
    Press the Add button. Select an h.264 stream. Optionally select your aac stream. Highlight the h.264 stream at the top then set the frame rate below. Press the Browse button to set the output path/filename. Press the Multiplex button to save the result.

Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    I have tried reencoding to mpeg4 at 30fps with HandBrake and media info says 30fps but it is still jerky.
    Of course. Handbrake changes frame rate by duplicating or discarding frames to maintain the running time. So if your source is 1.256 fps like the MediaInfo report states, and you convert to 30 fps, each frame is repeated ~24 times. It will play jerky just like the original source. Flagging a different frame rate with Mp4Muxer will result in a video that plays ~24x faster and reduce the run time to 1/24 the original. Audio will no longer be in sync.

Snagit only records at 15 fps. So does that mean it cannot be changed? It was recorded from thew screen with snagit 11
    I don't know anything about the program but the MediaInfo report you posted says the frame rate is 1.256 fps, not 15 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I cannot see how to work that program. Where to load the video. It will not drag across.
    Press the Add button. Select an h.264 stream. Optionally select your aac stream. Highlight the h.264 stream at the top then set the frame rate below. Press the Browse button to set the output path/filename. Press the Multiplex button to save the result.

I have tried reencoding to mpeg4 at 30fps with HandBrake and media info says 30fps but it is still jerky.
    Of course. Handbrake changes frame rate by duplicating or discarding frames to maintain the running time. So if your source is 1.256 fps like the MediaInfo report states, and you convert to 30 fps, each frame is repeated ~24 times. It will play jerky just like the original source. Flagging a different frame rate with Mp4Muxer will result in a video that plays ~24x faster and reduce the run time to 1/24 the original. Audio will no longer be in sync.

Snagit only records at 15 fps. So does that mean it cannot be changed? It was recorded from thew screen with snagit 11
    I don't know anything about the program but the MediaInfo report you posted says the frame rate is 1.256 fps, not 15 fps.
    OK thanks.
    Flagging a different frame rate with Mp4Muxer will result in a video that plays ~24x faster and reduce the run time to 1/24 the original. Audio will no longer be in sync.
    Does that mean I cannot do any thing with it?
    the MediaInfo report you posted says the frame rate is 1.256 fps
    correct. How could something be 1.256 fps though. Is that just under 2 fps. I do not understand the points as in one point two five six
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    You can speed up the display of the exiting frames or you can duplicate the frames to make 30 fps. The other possibility is to use motion interpolation to create new frames between the existing frames. That works well for panning shots and simple motions, not well for more complex material. You can do it for free in AviSynth but it has a very steep learning curve. All the commercial editors have the feature too, though you may have to pay for a plugin.

How could something be 1.256 fps though. Is that just under 2 fps. I do not understand the points as in one point two five six
    It means every frame is to be displayed for 1/1.256 seconds, about 796 milliseconds.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can speed up the display of the exiting frames or you can duplicate the frames to make 30 fps. The other possibility is to use motion interpolation to create new frames between the existing frames. That works well for panning shots and simple motions, not well for more complex material. You can do it for free in AviSynth but it has a very steep learning curve. All the commercial editors have the feature too, though you may have to pay for a plugin.

How could something be 1.256 fps though. Is that just under 2 fps. I do not understand the points as in one point two five six
    It means every frame is to be displayed for 1/1.256 seconds, about 796 milliseconds.
    but isn't crazy slow? sent you a pm wont send
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It means every frame is to be displayed for 1/1.256 seconds, about 796 milliseconds[/B].
    but isn't crazy slow?
    Yes. And that's exactly what you're seeing. Motion interpolation isn't going to work with your video. Just capture it again.

Here's an example of the type of problem you'll get with motion interpolation:
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Jan 2016 at 09:50.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It means every frame is to be displayed for 1/1.256 seconds, about 796 milliseconds[/B].
    but isn't crazy slow?
    Yes. And that's exactly what you're seeing. Motion interpolation isn't going to work with your video. Just capture it again.

Here's an example of the type of problem you'll get with motion interpolation:
    OK thanks. Thought the pm didn't send. I cannot capture
    it again as it was only available for a couple days. As a curiousity have you any idea why it would only capture at 1.256 fps.? Could it have been made to play in a way to cause that
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    As a curiousity have you any idea why it would only capture at 1.256 fps.?
    You set Snagit to capature at that rate? Your computer was too slow?

Could it have been made to play in a way to cause that
    Not likely. Not if it played smoothly to start with.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    As a curiousity have you any idea why it would only capture at 1.256 fps.?
    You set Snagit to capature at that rate? Your computer was too slow?

Could it have been made to play in a way to cause that
    Not likely. Not if it played smoothly to start with.
    snagit is set to capture at 15 fps but apparentlty adjusts this depending on input. I just tested another and snagit gave me 10 fps. I don't think it is my computer as Camtasia, which I should have used, records fine.
    I tested again and got 9 fps from snagit jerky. Camtasia 30 fps fine

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Anonymous; 20th Jan 2016 at 10:57.
    Quote Quote