VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. I haven't messed with any of the Firefox/Pale Moon text settings yet. I assume they're set to use whichever font a web page wants to use, if it specifies one.
    In firefox preferences/content set
    default Times new roman

Advanced
    proportional Serif
    serif Times new roman
    sans serif Arial
    monospace Courier new

Most websites are optimized for windows/osx fonts, they don't specify linux fonts so you might need to install some more fonts for the web to be enjoyable.

If you prefer the CRT you should try to disable sub pixel rendering since your screen doesn't have sub pixels. You can try sub pixel rendering disabled hinting full.

Your lcd is equipped with a VA panel
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display#Vertical_alignment_.28VA.29
    Which means that your sub pixels are most likely not RGB
    See here to determine your hardware setup and the proper setting. Your brain was right ^^.
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wiseant View Post
    Hi
    I didn't want to start a new thread re Linux info . . .

I recently installed Linux Mint 64 bit along with wine, winetricks and playonlinux
    I am able to run VirtualDub 64 and 32 bit but regardless of what I tried to do I couldn't install aacacm, ac3acm, lameacm, huffyuv, or xvid ...
    At the wine app database the newest vdub is only rated silver. ANything rated less than gold will be pretty much unusable. And the newest version isn't all that new.

One of the unfortunately most common mistakes linux beginners make is assuming they'll be able to run all their windows apps in wine. It isn't that reliable. If you need all those windows programs you';re better off keeping a windows partition.

Avidemux is a perfectly good substitute for virtualdub in linux, and it's in the repos.
    Last edited by Hoser Rob; 30th Jan 2016 at 11:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got my old trusty PhotoShop 7 running nicely on Wine in Linux Mint. I set it up on a 32-bit virtual drive and so far, it works surprisingly well. It even gave me a Desktop shortcut, cool....
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photoshop7.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	35475  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I managed to install the newest version of Aviutl (v1.12) on Wine. It seems to work ok, except it won't export via plugin. I did manage to install the Grass Valley HQ codec and it can export with that. I'll have to experiment further. At least now I have a decent video compositor running in Linux...

Name:	Aviutl.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	35476  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Hoser Rob

Thanks for the feedback. My guess is that Avidemux runs better in Linux than Windows - I think I'll check it out
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got x264_vfw installed on my (win8 x64) wine virtual drive, so Aviutl can also export via that. I also got XmediaRecode (portable) installed on the same virtual drive, so that opens up a lot more encoding options.

Here's a quick little creation to test out Aviutl running in Linux/wine. It seems to function pretty well so far.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. You might also want to take a look at WinFF, there's a linux version in the repos. Definitely not as refined as Xmediarecode though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I've tried WinFF in Windows before. XmediaRecode is far more advanced and therefore more desirable for me anyway. But if I can figure out how to get "Export Via Plugins" to work, then I won't need such archaic measures in the first place..........

All in all, I'm quite happy just to get Aviutl to work at all in Linux really! The end of Windows is that much closer............
    Quote Quote  
  9. I installed mint 17.3 in a virtual machine, I'll see if I can get something to work. Is there a plugin you specifically care about ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ackboo View Post
    I installed mint 17.3 in a virtual machine, I'll see if I can get something to work. Is there a plugin you specifically care about ?
    "Adv, x264 Export (GUI) ex", "Adv, x265 Export (GUI) ex", or "ffmpeg / avconv Export". ffmpeg export would be the most useful of the three.........
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's a bit of a maze. Someone attempted to do this and got ffmpeg working.
    http://mavericktse.blogspot.com/2013/08/aviutl-on-linux.html
    ffmpeg is installed in the 3rd party folder but not recognized, missing dll probably. If the developer is around it might be worth it to ask him.

Wine can launch a native program if you give it the full linux path. For ffmpeg (avconv in mint 17.3) it is /usr/bin/avconv. But it is probably safer to use the windows version.
    Some more info here:
    https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_do_I_launch_native_applications_from_a_Windows_application.3F

When you install aviutil on windows do you have anything to do to have these plugins available ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, all export modules work as they should when Aviutl is installed in Windows. I know I can just install Win7 or Win8 in a VM and everything will work, but that's too easy. Right now I'm amusing myself with this Wine s/w. It's a hit or miss thing, but it's interesting just the same.
    Quote Quote  
  13. It's a hit or miss thing, but it's interesting just the same.
    It's also the path to the dark side ^^
    http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2008/06/099-bottles-of-wine-on-wall.html

I'll take a closer look tomorrow, I used playonlinux, there are a lot of options and maybe the logs will tell me what is missing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently, Maverick omitted the Aviutl export via plugins files for a Linux/Wine install because they don't work. I tried copying the needed files for ffmpeg into the Wine virtual disk. They show up in Aviutl, however when you try to go into settings, it crashes.

So you are limited to AVI output only. It does work in RGBA export mode, so that's cool.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok, good to know. Minor annoyance then. How stable/fast is it compared to what you are used to ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aviutl runs pretty well in Linux/Wine...

Having some more fun with Wine. I install Virtualdub 1.10.5 and it works very well. The ffmpeg input driver can load just about anything and I even got the "External Encoder" feature to work! I just exported to mp4 via x264 and Nero aac, muxed with Mp4Box. It was all too easy actually...

Name:	Vdub.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	35492  

Quote Quote  
  17. Wow, everyone's getting way ahead of me now. I haven't had much time during the last week. I thought I'd add though.....

Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I can't seem to work out how to duplicate the FirstCap functions I want.

- Disable Caps Lock when the Caps Lock key is pressed on it's own (no more accidental Caps Lock).
    - Caps Lock works when pressed in combination with another key such as Shift+Caps Lock.
    - Disable Caps Lock when the Shift key is pressed in combination with a letter key.... as you'd use normally Shift in combination with a letter key to capitalise it. This ensures Shift+LetterKey always results in a capital letter regardless of the Caps Lock state, and any letter keys following Shift+LetterKey are lower case. Is there a universe in which it's desirable to aCTIVATE tHE cAPS lOCK kEY aND fOR sHIFT+lETTERkEY tO pRODUCE a lOWER cASE lETTER?
    I played around with the relevant settings under Input Devices/Keyboard/Advanced. I couldn't get all the settings to work as I thought they would but I found a combination I'm happy with.

Under "Caps Lock Key Behavior" I've checked:
    "Caps Lock acts a Shift key with locking: Shift doesn't effect Caps Lock"

Under "Miscellaneous Compatibility Options" I've checked:
    "Both Shift keys together activate Caps Lock, one Shift key de-activates".

I'm not concerned about the "both Shift keys together part" but those two settings gave me the most important behavior I wanted, even though they seem contradictory.
    The Shift key, or the Shift key in combination with a letter always de-activates Caps Lock, but Shift key in combination with a letter still always results in an uppercase letter regardless of the Caps Lock state. tHAT'LL sTOP mE fROM hAVING tO wORRY aBOUT tYPING lIKE tHIS.

Now I can get onto some more major things, like trying to run MeGUI on XP in VirtualBox. And catch up with all the advice in this thread. And VirtualDub in Wine looks like fun.....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ackboo View Post
    Your lcd is equipped with a VA panel
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display#Vertical_alignment_.28VA.29
    Which means that your sub pixels are most likely not RGB
    See here to determine your hardware setup and the proper setting. Your brain was right ^^.
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php
    I bought it because I read good reviews in respect to contrast ratio (and it was cheap), as I'll be using it for video a fair bit (and in my very limited testing, for that the picture seems pretty good). The viewing angle is very narrow but I wasn't overly concerned about that. Maybe I picked the wrong LCD for Linux? I've still got two 22" Trinitron CRTs I'm very happy with, and even though they're big and bulky they're great for displaying text, and I'm happy to continue using them for that.
    I'll go through the info in the links you posted and report back.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 2nd Feb 2016 at 01:59.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by ackboo View Post
    I haven't messed with any of the Firefox/Pale Moon text settings yet. I assume they're set to use whichever font a web page wants to use, if it specifies one.
    In firefox preferences/content set
    default Times new roman

Advanced
    proportional Serif
    serif Times new roman
    sans serif Arial
    monospace Courier new

Most websites are optimized for windows/osx fonts, they don't specify linux fonts so you might need to install some more fonts for the web to be enjoyable.
    I changed the fonts as you suggested. For some sites it helped (wikipedia) but made no difference to the text on this page unless I uncheck the option to allow sites to specify fonts.
    Best as I can tell my LCD has RGB sub-pixels, so for the moment I've disabled anti-aliasing. Text still looks a tad out of focus to me, but maybe it's my eyes. I'm old enough to need reading glasses to read a book (not that I have any) but a monitor is far enough away for me to focus. I can look at the CRT all day long. Or maybe it's my brain, or maybe it's this particular type of LCD.
    Next time I'm using my other half's laptop or tablet I'll pay more attention. I think I normally tend to think "text doesn't look great" but I don't give it further thought given it's only something I use for short periods now and then, but for this monitor I'm more aware of it as it's a fixture. Time to move on anyway.... I'll experiment with it connected to a Windows PC at some stage before I waste any more time on it now.
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  20. For some sites it helped (wikipedia) but made no difference to the text on this page unless
    This site is using Verdana. Most common fonts used on the web are the core fonts, Calibri and Verdana.

Maybe I picked the wrong LCD for Linux?
    Linux can deal just fine with VA panels. However your current setup is atypical. The subpixel setting might have undesirable effects on the CRT that's why I recommend to turn it off and test.
    Also the out of focus feel could be due to the VA panel in itself, some people don't like it. Or maybe the panel's coating is too grainy or glossy. Personally I'm partial to semi gloss IPS panels, good viewing angles. Test your screen on a windows PC, it if works use the lagom link and put the right subpixel setting in linux.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Since we are here I might as well do some evangelization.
    In the beginning was Richard Stallman, an MIT hacker. He created an operating system named GNU in 1983 and birthed the Free (as in freedom) Software Movement. This operating system was designed to guaranty its users certain rights. The right to run programs as you wish, to study, modify and redistribute programs. This OS was incomplete, it was missing a functioning kernel. And in 1991 Linus Torvalds completed the puzzle and GNU/Linux was born.

Thanks to the openness of GNU/Linux improvements were made and in 1998 the Open Source Movement was born. The difference between the Free software movement and the Open source movement being in the attitude towards proprietary software. A linux distribution incorporating proprietary drivers is not Free Software since you have no control over the drivers (you can't modify it or redistribute it).

Today most users prefer the convenience of proprietary software mixed with GNU/Linux, and this is the model most businesses have embraced.
    More on that here : open-source-misses-the-point.html
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by ackboo View Post
    Today most users prefer the convenience of proprietary software mixed with GNU/Linux, and this is the model most businesses have embraced.
    More on that here : open-source-misses-the-point.html
    I haven't read the link thoroughly yet (it's on tonight's reading menu) but it does strike me as odd that such a large proportion of open source or free software seems to be Windows only.
    I understand people want to create software that'll run on the OS most people use, but still, free software mostly for a proprietary OS rather than a free OS seems a little bit of a contradiction. I guess if more people switch to Linux, that'll eventually change.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Free software is about ethics, open source software is a method of producing software. Both kind of software can run on windows, there is no contradiction. It is the developer's free choice. Also, someone running openoffice or libreoffice on windows can switch to linux in a heartbeat.

A developer can decide to produce a windows only software that respects the user's freedom (use, study, modify, redistribute). He can even sell it if he wants to. Gratuity is not a mandatory characteristics of free software but for obvious reasons it's hard to make money when your users have a right to modify and redistribute your work.

Also desktop linux was a mess in the beginning, windows was a more desirable delivery platform since your work would reach more people and still be usable 3 years down the road.

Stallman created this OS because it's the only way to gain complete control over your computer, case in point windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Some good reads, IBM provides some well written linux documentation. Some of it is obsolete by now or useless for a desktop, but it is a good overview.

Hardening the Linux desktop (05 February 2014)
    An introduction to GNU/Linux desktop security
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/tutorials/l-harden-desktop/

Windows-to-Linux roadmap: Overview (11 November 2003 a bit old but the basics are covered)
    A roadmap for developers making the transition to Linux
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-roadmap/index.html

New to Linux programming and Linux system administration
    Your starting point for learning how to develop Linux programs and administer Linux systems
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/newto/

And if you want to learn something specific there is a whole library
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks for that. I'm reading through the Windows-to-Linux roadmap pages at the moment. I think it's answering some questions I had, and some I would have had eventually.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I stumbled upon this doc on linux workstation security, it's a good read.

Linux workstation security checklist
    https://github.com/lfit/itpol/blob/master/linux-workstation-security.md
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been running a Linux distro of one type or another for many years, I still boot up with a tails disk for internet excursions. I can do all but maybe 1% of what I can do on Windows. Do I still use Windows? I do, but only in offline ops, for everything online, it's linux all the way. Fear not, Linux is good.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  28. Ah...... the thread's back!

I'll confess for the last 3 weeks I've hardly touched the Linux PC. I've been intending to, but sometimes you're motivated learn new software and sometimes you just want to use the damn thing. I figured becoming friends with Linux would be a gradual process.

Thanks for the additional info ackboo. I'll have a read. I'm pretty sure I'll be spending some more time experimenting and checking out software early next week, maybe even over the week-end. I'm still determined to leave Windows behind eventually.....
    Quote Quote  
  29. Don't worry, I'll just add additional info from time to time so that thread can be useful to you and whoever reads it in the future.

In light of the recent linuxmint.com hack it is important to learn how to properly verify the checksum and digital signature of a downloaded iso. In order to install a genuine iso.
    For ubuntu the detailed instructions are here :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VerifyIsoHowto

Linuxmint should provide its own specific instructions soon. The necessary files can be found on all mirrors. They are sha256sum.txt.gpg and sha256sum.txt
    The linux mint public key can be downloaded from the gnupg.net keyserver using gpg --recv-keys xxxxxxxx
    It is preferable to use sha256sum instead of md5sum as md5 is less secure.
    Quote Quote