VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-Ray movies frequently come with code for an "Ultraviolet" digital download. If you've got a Blu-Ray disc, why would you want a download?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe (though I could be wrong) it's primarily aimed at those who want to be able to have a version they can view on their phone, tablet, or other portable device. If you don't have a way to rip the movies yourself, and don't want to obtain copies through illegal means, it may be a worthwhile alternative... but then, you're limited to the quality of the video they provide, and whatever DRM may be attached to the video.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's because you're not supposed to be copying Blu Rays and DVDs. It's not an alternative, it's what you're supposed to be doing.

As far as I'm concerned they're crap, and my UV collection is unlikely to ever be used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer the ones that have iTunes codes. Then you can download them with an older version of iTunes and use requiem on them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... I have some of those, requiemed and everything.

The only interesting thing I've done with them so far is add some code to mediainfo to give output for all the weird mp4 atoms that tell itunes how to play them properly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I've tried a couple of Ultraviolet downloads. Both sucked in visual quality compared to what I can make myself.

If you don't want to take the time to rip and convert something yourself, or don't have the knowledge to do so, they beat nothing, but not to a great degree. And the limitations placed upon the UV copies are enough to keep me from ever using them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I was tempted to try UV as we just bought the remastered first season of Little House On The Prairie on DVD for Christmas. Ultraviolet copy was included. If they are poor quality and limited then I won't bother dabbling with that aspect. Pristine picture and sound on the DVD and I was impressed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Put mine through the shredder
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last I checked, they aren't HD versions, they are equivalent to DVD. So yes, you could likely make better RIPs yourself using the Blu-Ray disc. Just depends on how it will be used. Most people use these on their portable devices, on most of which you won't even see the difference. Now if you are playing them on a big screen TV, that's a different story.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They are for people to lazy (or too stupid) to make better files themselves..

no advantage to these at all
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    They are for people to lazy (or too stupid) to make better files themselves..

no advantage to these at all
    you commented, and then contradicted your own reply.

For people that don't want to, or can't do it themselves, that IS an advantage.

It's also the only legal option, which is most likely why they started including them in the first place. As it removes the entire "I want a copy on my iPad" argument for those that RIP discs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Touché.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  13. They exist so the content producers can show there's no need for DMCA exceptions for shifting content. Ie, to keep decrypting rippers illegal.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the USA at least, it is still illegal to rip your legally purchased DVDs and Blurays, even if only for personal use as backups, etc. It doesn't matter. I encourage anyone who doesn't like the law to write to their senator or congressman/woman, and maybe in three years the Librarian of Congress will change their mind.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/10/its-still-illegal-to-rip-dvd-and-blu-ray-di...-personal-use/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the USA at least, it is still illegal to rip your legally purchased DVDs and Blurays, even if only for personal use as backups, etc. It doesn't matter.
    The FBI is going to arrest the entire country of China.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the USA at least, it is still illegal to rip your legally purchased DVDs and Blurays, even if only for personal use as backups, etc. It doesn't matter.
    Do I really need to point out that the COUNTRY of China is not in the USA?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    I have never known anyone to get out of a speeding ticket using the defense, "But officer, everyone else was speeding too."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    Do I really need to point out that the COUNTRY of China is not in the USA?
    Apparently I need to point out that I was being tongue-in-cheek.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    I have never known anyone to get out of a speeding ticket using the defense, "But officer, everyone else was speeding too."
    Not necessarily true. Iirc, it has been used successfully on occasion when ticketed when it could be proved that going the proper (slower) speed would most likely have caused an accident (e.g. certain heavily trafficked highways).

Never say never.

Scott
    Quote Quote