VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got about 30 tapes recorded at HD quality from this cam, which now has the common fault of its model - a touchscreen that only 'works' when folded back against the cam's body, but then with no button functions.

Consequently, I can't play the tapes for Firewire capture as the capture window (in MoviePlus x5 and Windows Movie Maker) can't access the camera's tape controls saying the connection 'failed to initialise'.

Unless anyone has any suggestions on a DIY fix for this, I would imagine my only other option is to find a sub-£250 Sony cam that could play these tapes as the repair or replacement of the original device is too expensive to conisder. I'm hoping that Sony may have had cheaper models that could also play the same tape. Or even another brand that could play them?

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I`d suggest frigging the camera door switch to pretend its shut and then using its controls (if I understood correctly - in a rush / pizzaman at door )
    Llamas are for life , not just for christmas
    Quote Quote  
  3. Most HDV software has deck control. Try HDVsplit.

Double check that your camera's output is set to HDV, not auto or DV, before you turn it on and plug it in. That may solve your failure to initialize.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your replies, guys, but the touchscreen buttons no longer work, so there is no way of controlling playback or changing the cam's settings, which were previously set to export HD as I'd been able to cap a few tapes before the screen became unusable. I can still see the buttons, but they don't register pressure, so can't be used.

I'd hoped that the capture window tape controls would take over, but that isn't possible either on the two programmes I've so far tried - hence looking for another cam, though I now understand that any 'hdr' model will be able to play the tapes. (Will try HDV Split, SMRPIX. Thanks.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I understand the problem is usually the ribbon cable that connects panel electronics to the main body. Seems a replacement cable is about £10. There are several videos on the net about how to replace it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wouldn't you have also received a remote control when you bought this? Some models may just control tape R/P motion, but some also control the menu system. Worth a look.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Many thanks, all.

smrpix - HDVSplit controls the cam okay, but doesn't capture anything - when I check the folder afterwards, there are just text documents with settings info in, but no video files. Perhaps. like Movieplus and Win Movie Maker, the capture proces won't work, although the tape controls do. Very frustrating!

JVRaines - yes, everything online I've found about the fault suggests the ribbon cable, but I've not found any videos that show the fix being done, so if you have a link, would you mind passing it on? US posters pay around $300+ to have it fixed though I can find no UK results for this kind of repair. Again, if you know of any, please let me know.

Cornucopia/Scott - the cam was a hand-me-down gift from a family member and there was no remote with it. Will look online to see if they can be bought separately.

(Sartori, thanks too for your suggestion, but the buttons don't function.)
    Last edited by japniz; 17th Jan 2016 at 08:31.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by japniz View Post
    JVRaines - yes, everything online I've found about the fault suggests the ribbon cable, but I've not found any videos that show the fix being done, so if you have a link, would you mind passing it on?
    Here is a demo.

Quote Quote  
  9. JVRaines - very many thanks for the vids. Very interesting to watch, but they're well beyond my ability, let alone finger-tip size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can't check over here as the hc1e is the european version and none are listed on ebay here in the states but a used working unit is probably your best bet. when done resell on ebay, you never now you might actually make money if you bid right.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks, aedipuss. I'm tracking several models on ebay that are listed as coming out in the years after the HC1E (and look to have the same spec and look very similar) and am resigned to doing just that and re-selling, though I am going to try the remote control suggestion too, which is about £13 from Hong Kong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Check the manual first to make sure the remote control avenue is worth it...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks all. I've now bought a second hand cam and am using Sony Vegas Studio, which recognises the new model and controls the tape transports okay. Once done, I'll resell it and hope to recoup some of the cost. (Didn't need to try the remote, in the end, Scott, but thanks for the idea.)
    Quote Quote