VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. First time posting, although I have been lurking for a bit. I have used the search function but can't seem to find an answer - I'm hoping I could get some help from you knowledgable folks.
    I have a Sony blue ray player model: BDV-E3100 and I can't for the life of me figure out how to region free it. (yes I make up my own terminology, as I'm not that technical, lol).
    I tried using the urc 7740 but when pressing '5' to input the last code I got no feedback or flashes from the Sony that it even registered anything.
    Is there a new set of codes, or alternative way to region free this unit? Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate any help I can get!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Doesn't help me though.
    I know it's possible, I have a harmony one and a urc 7740, but I'm stuck on the (actual)5th code sent to the player.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Blu-ray-DVD-player-multi-region-hack-remote-/330880264175

I can programme both remotes, and just need help with that...like I said I know it's possible.

Edit:
    I must stress that the link I put is proof that it can be done via remote, it sends the same 5 codes but I'm struggling on the 5th. I haven't purchased this, just trying to get other successful users help if they exist, lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KoolSky View Post
    I know it's possible
    How's that working out so far?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by KoolSky View Post
    I know it's possible
    How's that working out so far?

Doesn't help me though.
    I know it's possible, I have a harmony one and a urc 7740, but I'm stuck on the (actual)5th code sent to the player.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Blu-ray-DVD-player-multi-region-hack-remote-/330880264175

I can programme both remotes, and just need help with that...like I said I know it's possible.

Edit:
    I must stress that the link I put is proof that it can be done via remote, it sends the same 5 codes but I'm struggling on the 5th. I haven't purchased this, just trying to get other successful users help if they exist, lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your source that it can be done?

Very few Sony players can be hacked. Sony is big on copy protection, always has been, and that's the reason for the region lock.

In addition, as you noted a Blu-Ray player, what is the code actually supposed to unlock? DVD and Blu-Ray support are different. One "unlock" code is not going to support both formats (at least none that I've seen).

And in regards to DVD, aside from the region lock, you will have the format issue to deal with (ie: NTSC and PAL). Some players can actually convert, others simply pass it along untouched (although as you are in the UK, that likely won't be an issue).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote