VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some corrupted audio recordings which use the 3GP container and the AMR codec. I have googled for hours for a tool that can fix them, but none has worked. What does work, however, is the website mp4repair.org. I uploaded one of my corrupted files there and their software does fix it. However, they charge 90 bucks just to repair a single file, which I find excessive and unfair.

Do you know of a cheaper (or free) alternative?

I have plenty of other recordings from the same source which are fine. I think this can help to repair the bad ones.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried open them with any audio editor like goldwave, audacity and see if they can read them at all?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I tried both, but they can't read the files. Actually, I asked for help in the Audacity forum and the people there have been so helpful. They suggested a tool (MP4 Fix) which did fix a similar problem with files encoded with AAC. Unfortunately that tool doesn't work with AMR files.
    Last edited by Alonshow; 14th Jan 2016 at 10:21. Reason: Small mistake
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If mp4repair.org works might graus video repair tool work. Try the free trial and see if it can open the 3gp and repair half the audio. I have the full version so I can test also...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried Video repair and some other tools I found in Google, but none has worked. Unfortunately I didn't keep a list of the tools I tried. Among those I remember are All media fixer and the ffmpeg command line.

By the way, I've heard that this can be fixed with an hex editor. I have already used hex editors in the past, so it might be worth giving it a shot, but I think I would need at least some basic guidance on how to go about it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Can you please upload a sample of the corrupted file?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure. There you go:

Sample
    Last edited by Alonshow; 24th Mar 2016 at 11:53. Reason: Fixing link
    Quote Quote  
  8. EDIT: I Fixed your sample!!! (Duration: 1h 33m 34s)

Here you go!
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Adithya; 25th Mar 2016 at 07:41. Reason: Fixed it! EDIT 2: Repacked to 3gp
    Quote Quote  
  9. I will post a guide on hex editing the corrupt 3gp files soon. But if you are in a hurry you can upload your files to some file sharing account and please send that link to me.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much, Adithya, that was awesome. Looking forward to that hex editing guide. I'm sure it will be very useful.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Hallo Adithya,

I am still looking forward to your guide on hex editing corrupt 3gp files with AMR audio

Flintstone2
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adithya, please make some of us happy with your work! Could you offer a short tutorial about HEX editing the 3gp corrupted files?
    Thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see in Adithya fixed 3gp rthe following in the header:
    amr - Imported with GPAC 0.5.0-rev4065

The file is ended with:
    7freeIsoMedia File Produced with GPAC 0.5.0-rev4065

So it looks like the damaged file was converted using GPAC..
    Somebody knows the command to make this import/conversion possible?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    GPAC = mp4box.

Have you tried open the video with a multiplexer like mp4boxgui or mkvtoolnix and then output a new mp4 or mkv video.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I would suggest that anybody who has an idea for a solution first try that solution on the example .3gp file mentioned above, and only post it if the solution actually works. At the moment, it looks like Adithya is the only person who knows how to fix the corrupted file, and we are eagerly waiting to see how he did it. As concerns GPAC, it seems that this was merely used to create a 3gp file from an AMR file that was already fixed. As indicated by Adithya, the actual fixing can probably only be done with a HEX editor.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I have recorded an audio call in 3GP format. After recording, the recorded file is displayed as Video file(3GP) which cannot be played on the mobile or using VLC player. The file size shows as 30 Mb and I can open the file using Goldwave although I cannot hear anything. How can I repair this file? Please help.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, after 1 week of testing a lot of programs and solutions I found the way to listen a corrupted (interrupted) 3gp file

What I used: HxD hex editor (free) and a good 3gp file, BIGGER (longer) than corrupted one!
    If somebody is trying to modify the header or footer of the good 3gp, the file is unredable (you can see in explorer that the lenght of the file is missing..).
    So my ideea was to take a part from the broken file and PASTE WRITE in the good file.
    The content on my 3gp is looking like this (can be seen on HxD), always strting with "<":

<.1d>3â.!-O¯´ÖyD½è‡Ùò…¦..Æ…Ø#.±à
    <..W·æ.4.‡P[ëßW.MÑ,E $Q.$˜°GÖÎ"Ð
    <..c6Ññ(@-.¯8.㺌6ˆËì.ùƒTþ–Ñ.¡.€
    <.$[†.¸vÀSòÛm±L–a£´s.•nÕ,PÇ”.œµ€

So you need to copy the part that you need and PASTE WRITE (not INSERT) in the good file, over the body part. The ideea is to keep the dimension of the good file untouched (because of this the good file should be bigger than corrupted). One bit in plus or minus and the file is unredable.. I think the header or footer of the file has the information about this and has some internal checksum.
    After this operation you need to save the file (don't worry, HxD it wil automatically create a backup of the original file, with .bak extension).
    You need only to play the new file in the same player where the good 3gp can be listen. You will hear even the sounds from the good 3gp, but if you PASTE WRITE the part that you want to listen at the begining of the body you will hear first the sounds that you need and after this the sounds from the good original file.
    I prefer to insert SILENCE after the part that I need (for example, if you have good 3gp only with SILENCE recorded, after the recovered part the SILENCE will begin) so after I save the file I have the part that I want and SILENCE till the end

I hope this could be usefull even from other type of corrupted audio or video file.
    And.. happy holidays from Romania!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks a lot for the help from Romania (testerics)! I was desperate to recover the 3GP file and I could do it following the steps you mentioned. Thanks to you and the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by testerics View Post
    Ok, after 1 week of testing a lot of programs and solutions I found the way to listen a corrupted (interrupted) 3gp file

What I used: HxD hex editor (free) and a good 3gp file, BIGGER (longer) than corrupted one!
    If somebody is trying to modify the header or footer of the good 3gp, the file is unredable (you can see in explorer that the lenght of the file is missing..).
    So my ideea was to take a part from the broken file and PASTE WRITE in the good file.
    The content on my 3gp is looking like this (can be seen on HxD), always strting with "<":

<.1d>3â.!-O¯´ÖyD½è‡Ùò…¦..Æ…Ø#.±à
    <..W·æ.4.‡P[ëßW.MÑ,E $Q.$˜°GÖÎ"Ð
    <..c6Ññ(@-.¯8.㺌6ˆËì.ùƒTþ–Ñ.¡.€
    <.$[†.¸vÀSòÛm±L–a£´s.•nÕ,PÇ”.œµ€

So you need to copy the part that you need and PASTE WRITE (not INSERT) in the good file, over the body part. The ideea is to keep the dimension of the good file untouched (because of this the good file should be bigger than corrupted). One bit in plus or minus and the file is unredable.. I think the header or footer of the file has the information about this and has some internal checksum.
    After this operation you need to save the file (don't worry, HxD it wil automatically create a backup of the original file, with .bak extension).
    You need only to play the new file in the same player where the good 3gp can be listen. You will hear even the sounds from the good 3gp, but if you PASTE WRITE the part that you want to listen at the begining of the body you will hear first the sounds that you need and after this the sounds from the good original file.
    I prefer to insert SILENCE after the part that I need (for example, if you have good 3gp only with SILENCE recorded, after the recovered part the SILENCE will begin) so after I save the file I have the part that I want and SILENCE till the end

I hope this could be usefull even from other type of corrupted audio or video file.
    And.. happy holidays from Romania!
    Many thanks for this; I now finally can recover my corrupted audio file, after having looked for a solution for more than 3 years! As a tip: I found it easiest to copy the whole content of the bad file starting with "mdat" to the part of the good file which also starts with "mdat". And now I will look for some way to cut off the excess audio at the end of the recovered file without re-encoding; I expect that this will be a much easier process
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all, I have what I hope is a recoverable .amr file, a storycorps interview with my dying father (not a (fake) sob story, you are welcome to listen if you can fix it). Any help would be appreciated. My attempts to upload it here produce and invalid file error, so can anyone accept an email attachment? Wow. This whole thing sounds like a Nigerian phishing scam, but really I just want to hear and share this file.

Eric
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @barlycrn, upload your file to https://wetransfer.com and give me the download link in my e-mail
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the reply. wetransfer.com does not pass security muster on my network. anyplace else to sit a 3 meg file?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    sorry, different issue... will get the link out soon!
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by barlycrn View Post
    Thank you for the reply. wetransfer.com does not pass security muster on my network. anyplace else to sit a 3 meg file?
    You can attach files when you post. Under Upload files/Manage attachments.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For .mp4 repair, use the instructions from here: http://slydiman.me/eng/mmedia/recover_mp4.htm
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hey, @testerics. I was able to recover some .amr files by editing the hex, but I could not find a pattern like you showed. I saw that the normal file has nothing before #! In hex, then I recovered 4 audios by removing what there is before that. But 3 even removing audio still does not play. I'll post the audio link here on onedrive, if you can help me with this! Thank you!

Https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agbyu4vkkajhgapwZIgxvAhxo7YOEg
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @lcapellaro, please upload even a good audio AMR file and bigger than 9MB to be possible to compare and recover. The good file should be generated with the same source.
    Quote Quote  
  28. @testerics Follows the link of corrupted audios: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agbyu4vkkajhgapwGYOQzL5XtYXm4A

and follows the link of good audio with 9,7mb: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agbyu4vkkajhgatLcz32AqBkr9g_Jw

Thanks for listening!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @lcapellaro, your corrupted audios are too corrupted even for me..
    Sorry, maybe someone else could help you with this
    Quote Quote  
  30. @testerics No problem, thanks for your kindness and help! o/
    Quote Quote