VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm very new at this guys, so please bear with me:

My cousin converted a bunch of VHS tapes to DVD on a Toshiba VCR/DVD combo recording machine. He assures me that they all played after he got done, but I'm 90% sure he only tested the disc's on the same machine he recorded them on. Now, that DVD recorder/player went south and the disc's don't play on any other machine. Further, inserting the disc in 3 or 4 different pc's results in no recognition of the disc when it's mounted. The PC thinks it's a blank disc. He claims to have finalized them, but there may have been a problem he didn't know about.

I was able to "open" one of the discs, and found out that there are multiple *.gi (Global Image) files. I think he recorded a bunch of different videos on this disc. However, I can't play the disc, and am interested in either finalizing the files (if that's even doable), or converting those files to standard DVD type files, then I would reburn them. I just today downloaded and installed IsoBuster, but can't seem to determine how to convert these files. I did save the gi files to my hard drive, so I can play with them without using the original disc.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. I apologize for the tome. Thanks, Don
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How big are the .gi files?

You should really try isobuster (or cdroller, etc) on the dvds instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you have one tiny .gi and several large numbered ones, then imageburn can reassemble them and burn to dvd. like this?

Imagexxxxxx(1_0).gi 1.99GB
    Imagexxxxxx(1_1).gi 1.99GB
    Imagexxxxxx(1_2).gi 1.99GB
    Imagexxxxxx1302.gi 1.60KB

then open imageburn in write mode and select the tiny .gi file

--
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your question Baldrick. On the disc that I have, there are 10 gi files. The largest is just over 1,000,000 KB and the smallest is about 18,400KB. I believe this disc has 10 separate video clips on it of varying lengths.

I am totally unfamiliar with ISOBuster, but I will try to do something with the disc as you suggest. The isobuster window didn't seem to have an option to play the disc. It looked like it was designed to find missing or broken files. I'm sure I don't know what I'm doing, so if you can give me some guidance, I appreciate it.
    Thanks, Don
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    copy one of the large files to your computer and see if just renaming it from x.gi to x.mpg will get it to play
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow...Its a very old archive make in "Sonic RecordNow".

Just download and burn.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no need for record now. imageburn can handle .gi images like i told him. but the little .gi file has to be an index file and doesn't look like he has one.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope I did this right....I've attached two screen shots. One of the disc I was able to read using Roxio, and one of the disc using IsoBuster. I'm not sure what they indicate, except there's a red X alongside of Track 1 on the IsoBuster pic. Hopefully you guys can determine what direction I need to go in from here. Thanks for all the input!!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Disc Opened w-IsoBuster.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	35222  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Disc Opened w-Roxio.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	35223  

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another development...as aedipuss suggested, I renamed the largest and smallest file with the extention mpg. I then was able to play that file using VLC !! So all is not lost. Thanks for that idea aedipuss! The othe thought I had, is...could track 01 with the red X be the index or directory for the disc? I don't know what to tell IsoBuster to do at this point. Thanks guys, for the input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    track 1 may be an unfinalized video from the recorder. you might not find anything to read that. if you can copy it to your hard drive try using a hex editor to see what's in it.

what is your desired end product? a dvd that can be read on any standalone? or do you want to convert each video to something else?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ideally, If there was some operation I can do on his existing discs (he converted a bunch of VHS tapes to DVD's on a Toshiba combo unit. So he has 30 or 40 DVD's that now don't play in any stand alone player). The machine that he used to record is broken, so I was hoping that he really didn't finalize the discs that he thought he did. However, worst case is that we convert all the .gi files to mpg as you suggested, and reburn each DVD....it's certainly better than playing the VHS tapes in real time and recording from scratch.

I was thinking that if there was something wrong with the finilazing process on the Toshiba, he really didn't finalize them. I just tried finalizing the disc on my PC using Roxio, but it didn't recognize the DVD being mounted.

BTW, I don't know what a hex editor is, let alone analyze the file! LOL I appreciate your thoughts, however. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could learn how to use dvdauthorgui and create new dvds with menus. that's assuming the gi/mpgs are dvd compliant. if not you are going to have to re-encode them. just placing the renamed mpgs on a new dvd might work, the player should play them in order without a menu. or you could re-encode them to mp4 video and have them play on most current devices from files. or upload them to youtube and let everyone watch from there.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input. Do you think that Track 01 can be a missing finalizing indication? I'm inclined to try and finalize the disc, but need a program like CDroller to read the suspected unfinalized disc. If it tells me it's already finalized, then I think the approach would be to re-burn a DVD by converting the .gi files to mpg and processing the files with Nero or Roxio to burn a new DVD. I think that should work, yes? Also, do you know of any freeware program that can read an unfinalized disc? I really appreciate you sticking with me on this issue!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dondd View Post
    Thanks for the input. Do you think that Track 01 can be a missing finalizing indication? I'm inclined to try and finalize the disc, but need a program like CDroller to read the suspected unfinalized disc. If it tells me it's already finalized, then I think the approach would be to re-burn a DVD by converting the .gi files to mpg and processing the files with Nero or Roxio to burn a new DVD. I think that should work, yes? Also, do you know of any freeware program that can read an unfinalized disc? I really appreciate you sticking with me on this issue!
    Dondd, just download virtualcd Trial, its create fake CD/DVD/BD medias to burn using any software.

Download, install, run, make your fake DVD and try burn.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: Using ConverX to DVD, I was able to burn a new DVD. The encoding took some time, but at least I know the gi files can be used to burn a DVD. My next step is to install CDroller, as it supposed to open an unfinalized DVD. If that works, then I should be able to finalize the original DVD and I should be home free. It's a little optimistic, I agree, but it's worth a try. If that doesn't work, I will try Cauptain's suggestion (above). Thanks guys for all the input...I'll let you know how I fair out!
    Don
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, unless I discover something new, the problem is solved, albeit the long way. Two steps required: Change the extention from *.gi to *.mpg (that's easy!!). Then, load the files into ConvertX to DVD. ConvertX encodes the files and burns a new DVD (providing you have Nero installed). The new DVD plays in two players and, of my PC.

The encoding takes some time, but the original videos are salvaged. So that's what I did with one of the DVD's. I will proceed with two more to verify the problem exists on more than one.

Appreciate all the input guys...thanks very much. Especially changing the extention...I would not have tried that without the suggestion!!

Dondd
    Quote Quote