VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I embed a command within an m3u playlist so that the videos in the playlist endlessly loop?

i.e. I have a playlist like the following:
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:101,video1
    video1.mp4
    #EXTINF:240,video2
    video2.mp4
    #EXTINF:72,video3
    video3.mp4
    #EXTINF:139,video4
    video4.mp4
    #EXTINF:192,video5
    video5.mp4
    After video5 is finished, I'd like to automatically restart video1, then video2 etc.

The play list is on a HDD and is played on both a media player (WDTV) as well as a PC. I believe that I can set the WDTV to loop the video, but I'd prefer to include that command within the playlist so that it will work on both the WDTV and the computer.

Is this possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, m3u is too crude a format to directly support such features.

However, you could try the last line calling the m3u file itself as a cheat. Maybe it will work, maybe not.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No, m3u is too crude a format to directly support such features.

However, you could try the last line calling the m3u file itself as a cheat. Maybe it will work, maybe not.

Scott
    Is there any other playlist format that would allow looping the video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps an Avisynth script.....

Code:
    a=FFvideoSource("video1.mp4")
    b=FFvideoSource("video2.mp4")
    c=FFvideoSource("video3.mp4")
    d=FFvideoSource("video4.mp4")
    e=FFvideoSource("video5.mp4")
    Return(a+b+c+d+e).Loop(times=3, start=0)
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    An ASX/WVX metafile (but they're usually only supported on Windows machines). Probably a SMIL metafile, but with similar (Mac-centric) support restrictions.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Perhaps an Avisynth script.....

Code:
    a=FFvideoSource("video1.mp4")
    b=FFvideoSource("video2.mp4")
    c=FFvideoSource("video3.mp4")
    d=FFvideoSource("video4.mp4")
    e=FFvideoSource("video5.mp4")
    Return(a+b+c+d+e).Loop(times=3, start=0)
    I just tried this and it didn't work. My media player (WDTV) only supports PLS, M3U & WPL playlist formats. I've Googled these types of playlists and "loop" or "repeat" and haven't found anything.

I'm assuming that none of these three playlist formats will allow a series of videos to loop.

Correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was assuming you were doing this on a computer. On a set top box media player like your (WDTV) I would look in the settings for looping. You may get lucky and have an option to loop videos in a folder.

Otherwise, you'll need to encode a long looping video.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, you could just as easily use an M3U format and list it explicitly like this:

Code:
    Source1.mp4
    Source2.mp4
    Source3.mp4
    Source4.mp4
    Source1.mp4
    Source2.mp4
    Source3.mp4
    Source4.mp4
    Source1.mp4
    Source2.mp4
    Source3.mp4
    Source4.mp4
    for as long as you think it will need to loop. Doesn't use up any more space (unlike the re-encoding suggestion), easy to create, and is the equivalent of looping in most cases: how long do you really think it will need to loop anyway?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I was assuming you were doing this on a computer. On a set top box media player like your (WDTV) I would look in the settings for looping. You may get lucky and have an option to loop videos in a folder.

Otherwise, you'll need to encode a long looping video.
    Yes. The WDTV has a setting that will allow me to loop the videos. However once set, it will loop (repeat) everything. I have playlists of videos, individual videos, photos and MP3s on the media player. I would like to loop some playlists but not others and none of the individual videos or MP3s. I'd prefer not to go into the settings menu and set it to repeat each time I want a playlist to loop. (I know that this is picky but it's a nuisance).

My default solution was to create a longer playlist like Cornucopia suggests but I was looking for a more elegant solution. However, it looks like that solution doesn't exist.

Anyway, thank-you everyone who has taken the time and effort to provide suggestions. Your help is very much appreciated.
    Quote Quote