VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have some MKV files that I want to burn to a Blu-Ray so they are playable on my Blu-Ray player. I use tsMuxer to convert the MKV to a Blu-Ray ISO and then burn the ISO to a Blu-Ray disc, and then everything works. However, for one of the MKV files, it refuses to work. I can play the video fine as an MKV, but once I convert it to the Blu-Ray ISO, nothing will open it on my computer, and if I burn it to a disc, my Blu-Ray player will not play it. The only thing that is able to open the resulting ISO is PowerDVD, and even then, the video is a little stretched. Every other MKV file works fine except for this one.
    Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    probably a non compliant file. re-encode it using uncropMKV or bd-rebuilder, this should fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    probably a non compliant file. re-encode it using uncropMKV or bd-rebuilder, this should fix it.
    Will I lose any quality doing that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nothing visible
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    nothing visible
    I tried uncropMKV and upon selecting the MKV file it crashes and says "Video height noncompliant." I will try the other program now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if uncropmkv crash, there is something wrong with your file. Bd-rebuilder will fail too , they both use X264.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    if uncropmkv crash, there is something wrong with your file. Bd-rebuilder will fail too , they both use X264.
    BD Rebuilder is processing right now. Like I said, for some reason, PowerDVD is capable of opening the ISO, but nothing else is. The MKV plays fine in VLC or in any other program, even on the Blu-Ray player itself. Some BR players will not read MKVs so I have to do it this way. Every other MKV has no problem converting to ISO, then to disc and playing. Just this one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Do you know of a better way to convert the MKV to a Blu-Ray than what I am doing that will make it work? Like I said, as an MKV, it plays perfectly/is not corrupt. Only when I go to make it a Blu-Ray is there a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Guphanti
    What is wrong?
    "Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems."

source: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-(AUP)

Do you know of a better way to convert the MKV to a Blu-Ray than what I am doing that will make it work?
    Yes, just buy the original discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And I will add:

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    What is wrong?

source: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-(AUP)
    Your current title "What is wrong?" is a wrong approach to solving your problem as well.

But I'll also tell you what is wrong.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte
    Do you know of a better way to convert the MKV to a Blu-Ray than what I am doing that will make it work?
    What is "wrong" with your MKV is that the video format inside, even if it's H.264, is not blu-ray compliant. You need to encode H.264 with blu-ray particulars, like delimiters (nal-hrd, aud, etc), vbv buffer limits, a level of b-pyramid, a limit on b and ref frames, resolution, fps, etc, etc.

Fortunately some programs can do it for you without you having to mess with this.

But what is also "wrong" in this forum is coming in here and asking how to make an MKV you've likely "acquired" somewhere, to play on a blu-ray player. Don't expect much help with this.

Of course you will. H.264 is a lossy format. But if you want higher qualtiy, a good start would be with the blu-ray disc itself.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Guphanti, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Guphanti, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    No problem. Will do.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    And I will add:

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    What is wrong?

Your current title "What is wrong?" is a wrong approach to solving your problem as well.

But I'll also tell you what is wrong.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte
    What is "wrong" with your MKV is that the video format inside, even if it's H.264, is not blu-ray compliant. You need to encode H.264 with blu-ray particulars, like delimiters (nal-hrd, aud, etc), vbv buffer limits, a level of b-pyramid, a limit on b and ref frames, resolution, fps, etc, etc.

Fortunately some programs can do it for you without you having to mess with this.

But what is also "wrong" in this forum is coming in here and asking how to make an MKV you've likely "acquired" somewhere, to play on a blu-ray player. Don't expect much help with this.

Of course you will. H.264 is a lossy format. But if you want higher qualtiy, a good start would be with the blu-ray disc itself.
    The video is "All-22" film of high school football games. If you do not know what All-22 is it's basically wide angle footage taken from atop the bleachers to film all 22 players on the field for the purposes of practicing. It takes up too much space on the computers and we want to be able to have it on discs. It's HD and the total is too much for DVDs. We put chapters in an MKV to separate the games since just burning the raw footage does not work on all blu-Ray players and has no chapters to skip between games. That's why we need to burn the MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Guphanti View Post
    Do you know of a better way to convert the MKV to a Blu-Ray than what I am doing that will make it work? Like I said, as an MKV, it plays perfectly/is not corrupt. Only when I go to make it a Blu-Ray is there a problem.
    in my opinion, Bd-rebuilder and tsmuxer are the best free tool for blurays.
    When i want to create a bluray menu with trailer or intro video, i use Multiavchd ( way more complicated) .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The video is "All-22" film of high school football games. If you do not know what All-22 is it's basically wide angle footage taken from atop the bleachers to film all 22 players on the field for the purposes of practicing. It takes up too much space on the computers and we want to be able to have it on discs. It's HD and the total is too much for DVDs. We put chapters in an MKV to separate the games since just burning the raw footage does not work on all blu-Ray players and has no chapters to skip between games. That's why we need to burn the MKV.
    Granted my friend. This is valid. I take back my comments then.

There's just too many comedians in Forums who pirate stuff, then whine about it not playing on their blu-ray players, and harass legit forums about it. Hence, some of us will respond in a certain way to garbage like that.

As per your problem, like I said, I believe it's the video streams in the MKVs that are not blu-ray compliant. Maybe the ones that "worked" are also not blu-ray compliant as well, but some players (out of no obligation) sometimes handle some Ok.

And, just because they worked in your blu-ray player, which may have a leniency on the spec, it does not mean they will work in another blu-ray player.

To ensure fluid compatibility you would need to encode under a compliant blu-ray profile. tsMuxeR is a nice tool, but it's only a muxer. It's not an encoder. All it really does is take streams, such as video and audio, and put them together in a structure - with no guarantee of compatibility.

Yes, encoding is lossy, but, with a good enough bitrate, or quality level, the damage would be very minimal for most sources.

I can suggest two things at this point. Try some of the tools mentioned and report back.

I also know MeGUI has blu-ray profiles as well - just encode with MeGUI, and mux with tsMuxeR after. (I know one person here who will say not to use MeGUI however. )

Or, you can download MediaInfo, and post the text info of what the MKVs actually contain, and we can direct you further.

(But, whatever you do - keep the MKVs separately if this is your Source/Master.)
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use mediainfo the post the mkv details,might be an easier fix than re-encoding if we can see what the issue is.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Media info says resolution is 1920x800
    Last edited by Guphanti; 13th Jan 2016 at 22:18.
    Quote Quote  
  18. 1920x800 is not blu ray compliant. This is consistent with your non-complaint video height error message. Use the tools mentioned above to re-encode and author for BR disk.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    1920x800 is not blu ray compliant. This is consistent with your non-complaint video height error message. Use the tools mentioned above to re-encode and author for BR disk.
    I had a feeling that's what it was. Someone suggested a camcorder that records in 16:9. Does that mean anything? As for right now though, It's a really wide video on purpose as I described above. If I re-encode, will we lose parts of the picture, or is not something that you can notice? Also, which tool do I use to do this, since uncropmkv will not work due to the error above?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guphanti; 12th Jan 2016 at 15:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup. Not blu-ray compliant. And I'm not just talking about the resolution mentioned only.

B-pyramid wrong, long GOPs, no delimiters or blu-ray compatibilty signalled, rate and buffer (vbv) way too high, too many b frames for profile 4.1, etc. I honestly can go on.

Some players may play it, but it's no guarantee. And if some work on some players, that doesn't mean they will work on all.

I know Johns0 hinted that there are methods, or fixes, that can be applied without re-encoding, and know about these, such as SPS, picture timing info, pulldown, levels, even fps and resolution, but honestly (no disrespect Johns0) I don't believe in these methods. They, IMO, are merely band-aid solutions, and can be very flaky. Only with a full (re-)encode, with a valid blu-ray profile, can you really acheive undisputed 100% blu-ray compatibility. But you can have something visually faithful to the Source with good settings, and you should keep your Source anyway, so it's not that bad.

You need to (re-)encode.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm going to try to re-encode with Handbrake now and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Handbrake won't make BR compliant streams. Try multiavchd as suggested above or a commercial product like DVD Architect or TMPGEnc Video Authoring works.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Handbrake won't make BR compliant streams. Try multiavchd as suggested above or a commercial product like DVD Architect or TMPGEnc Video Authoring works.
    Okay I've got it loaded up in multiavchd, what is the process? From what I ascertain, I need to change 800 to 1080 in multiavchd, then hit "start" and it should make a file that works, right? At least that's what I have it doing now.
    Quote Quote  
  24. multiavchd finished and now it is time to burn to a disc. In the output folder there are 6 items (BDMV, Certificate, HDAVCTN (folder), details (text file), multiAVCHD (text file), and multiAVCHD.mpf.

Do I only burn BDMV and Certificate to a disc, or all the files? Do I make an ISO of the files and then burn that?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I corrected the improper height in multiAVCHD, but now it says that the Ref count (5) is too high. How do I fix that?
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ref 5 isn't too high,it's the max allowed for authoring.Handbrake will make compliant files as long as you don't remove the black bars and keep the setting within parameters.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Ref 5 isn't too high,it's the max allowed for authoring.Handbrake will make compliant files as long as you don't remove the black bars and keep the setting within parameters.
    Well if I try to go ahead and make the mkv it gives me the error "Invalid array index (2). Valid range (1-1)..."
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Guphanti View Post
    Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    nothing visible
    I tried uncropMKV and upon selecting the MKV file it crashes and says "Video height noncompliant." I will try the other program now.
    That's exactly what it's supposed to say.
    So you click "QUEUE" then "START".
    And it will start re-encoding.

So did it really crash, or did you assume so because it said video height non-compliant?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just got back and saw HandBrake was mentioned, so comment on it.

HandBrake will not produce streams that are blu-ray compliant. You can include all the right elements into HandBrake's "Advanced" tabs, but it will only output MP4/MKV, not something you can work with with blu-ray, like M2TS, or a BD structure, or even a raw stream to be properly muxed.

This is because much of the blu-ray compatibility is at the container level. Once a video stream, blu-ray compliant or not, goes through MP4/MKV in any remuxing, you broke compatibility.

HandBrake is still wonderful for lots of other stuff. And it would have been great for blu-ray output, BUT, until it - at the very least - can output raw streams, it will never acheive 100% blu-ray compatibility for its output.

Having said that, carry on. I personally would use x264 at the command line and properly mux as my method, but I think you're on your way here too.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I used handbrake to re-encode my smallville blu-ray disc and it plays with no issues as an authored blu-ray disc
    Quote Quote