VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I used handbrake to re-encode my smallville blu-ray disc and it plays with no issues as an authored blu-ray disc
    Sure HandBrake can encode with x264's blu-ray specs, and sure you can simply remux the MP4/MKV into a M2TS or a BDMV\STREAM authored structure, or whatnot, and sure it can play.

And even if you don't get all the blu-ray particulars in, even if you get the PAR slightly wrong, or even the rez wrong, it can STILL play. And blu-ray players over the years have gotten more forgiving, especially when many today can play DivX, Xvid, MP4, MKV, AVCHD, and other non-blu-ray formats as an option.

I know you're not lying when you say HandBrake's output plays fine on your player. I'm not surprised.

But that does not mean it's 100% true-to-the-spec blu-ray compatible, and it does not mean just because it plays on your player it will play in all of them.

Since HandBrake doesn't output raw streams, only MP4/MKV, then you broke blu-ray compatibility. Muxing/demuxing a video stream through MP4/MKV will delete vital data such as IDK, delimiters, HRD, SPS, etc, necessary for 100% blu-ray compatibility, particularly any calculations/data pertinent at the container level.

Yes, your content plays on blu-ray fine, and works beautifully for you, and it may play on most units, but in theory, sorry my friend, it's not 100% blu-ray compatible.

But, if it works for you, then fine, go ahead. Who am I to question something that works for you?
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What you said doesn't make sense,if it's 1280x720 or 1920x1080 encoded with 5 r frames and less with a 4.1 profile or less with the proper vbuffs and such it's not blu-ray compliant?Sounds like you are just trying to justify your statement.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What you said doesn't make sense,if it's 1280x720 or 1920x1080 encoded with 5 r frames and less with a 4.1 profile or less with the proper vbuffs and such it's not blu-ray compliant?Sounds like you are just trying to justify your statement.
    Not at all.

Blu-ray compatibility is not just at the stream level, but also at the container level - how you mux is also important.

In short, what I'm saying is that once you put a blu-ray compliant stream into an MP4/MKV you break compatibility because you delete certain metadata vital to blu-ray compliance. MP4/MKV muxers do not manipulate such packets.

Blu-ray compatible streams need to be encoded a certain way. Yes. But they need to be muxed a certain way too to not delete such info.

Of course, this does not mean it will not work otherwise. I will bet it will 9/10 times. But I'm talking strictly theoretically here - it may be 90%, but it will not be 100% blu-ray compatible.

And I don't need to justify my statement when Sonic Scenarist, an industry standard in professional blu-ray authoring, will confirm this by rejecting such streams.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Just got back and saw HandBrake was mentioned, so comment on it.

HandBrake will not produce streams that are blu-ray compliant. You can include all the right elements into HandBrake's "Advanced" tabs, but it will only output MP4/MKV, not something you can work with with blu-ray, like M2TS, or a BD structure, or even a raw stream to be properly muxed.

This is because much of the blu-ray compatibility is at the container level. Once a video stream, blu-ray compliant or not, goes through MP4/MKV in any remuxing, you broke compatibility.

HandBrake is still wonderful for lots of other stuff. And it would have been great for blu-ray output, BUT, until it - at the very least - can output raw streams, it will never acheive 100% blu-ray compatibility for its output.

Having said that, carry on. I personally would use x264 at the command line and properly mux as my method, but I think you're on your way here too.

UPDATE: Someone mentioned it in another post but I never picked up on it--you have to press "Queue" first in uncrop MKV, then start. That's what the problem is. UncropMKV is working now. Will update with results.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guphanti; 13th Jan 2016 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It worked! Thanks for the help everyone!
    Quote Quote