VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. At the risk of digging up the past...(see disclaimer at the end)

I am looking to start backing up my prized Blu-Ray disk collection much like I have done with my favorite DVD movies for years but need some help/guidance.

Here I what software I have thus far (used for DVD's):
    SlySoft AnyDVD (latest release...they update frequently) I use this to rip the DVD files to HDD
    DVD-Shrink - used to shrink the files to fit a 4GB DVD image
    DVD-Decrypter - used with the above to burn the image back to disk
    I purchased the suite license from SlySoft many years ago which includes 'AnyDVD' and 'AnyDVD HD' which mentions Blu-Ray reading compatibility, but does it remove copy-protection to allow me to create a playable backup.

What other software would I need, such as to shrink the files to fit on a 25GB BD-R and to write the image?
    I DO NOT need to remaster the disk (remove copyright nag screens, etc. though throwing out extra languages would be a space saver) as this is for my personal use...not that I suspect many on here would care either way.

I know some apps have been listed above but that was also mentioned some years ago, so what are the current recommendations?

Also if I am to be blasted for digging up the past I want to just mention that this was the #1 result in my search so I figured it was either a) most relevant and/or b) most popular and as such equally the best place to ask my question.

================================================== ====================================
    Edit:
    right after posting I noticed it linked AnyDVD to a page on this site that explained that AnyDVD HD will remove the Blu-Ray copy protection, so I just need to find out what software I need to shrink the files to a 25GB image and then burn that image back to disk.
    ================================================== ====================================
    Last edited by CloneMe; 11th Jan 2016 at 19:38. Reason: Further research...would still appreciate any help and corrections, thnx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Couple more questions:

I just pre-ordered the 4k UHD version of 'The Martian' that is due out in March, what special steps or software -if any- should I know or get or are these just like any other Blu-Ray backup?

Same question for 3D movies as well, is it all in the BD code/data or are there special sections of a disk for these types of movie?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I moved your posts to a new thread where you can get more help,next time you post please do not dig up old threads to post in,just open a new thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you, being new here I don't know the mindset of your audience. So appreciate the corrective assistance!

Some groups would blast ya for starting 'yet another thread' on a potentially over discussed topic...others want you to always start anew. As long as I get the help figuring out what I need to do all's same to me!

Thnx again,
    C
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased the suite license from SlySoft many years ago which includes 'AnyDVD' and 'AnyDVD HD' which mentions Blu-Ray reading compatibility, but does it remove copy-protection to allow me to create a playable backup.
    AnyDVD does remove.

What other software would I need, such as to shrink the files to fit on a 25GB BD-R
    BDRebuilder, which will also let you choose languages. Backing up to MKV via ClownBD is good too.

and to write the image?
    ImgBurn
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it be best to just put your movies on a media player of some kind because most bluray discs
    have the dreaded cinavia protection on them. while the cinavia protection can be removed
    some say it is not as good as the original audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    The AnyDVDHD, BDRebuilder and ImgBurn combination will work for the vast majority of Blu-ray. Only a very small percentage of all the Blu-ray releases have Cinavia, but when it is present, it is certainly a problem when playing a copied disc in any Blu-ray player introduced to the market since March of 2012, or in authorized Blu-ray software players like PowerDVD.

If you just need main movie backups, instead of everything on the disc, I'd recommend going to MKV files and playing from a streaming media player instead of a Blu-ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most movies do not have cinavia,just a few such as disney and a lot of sony pictures.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by CloneMe View Post
    I just pre-ordered the 4k UHD version of 'The Martian' that is due out in March, what special steps or software -if any- should I know or get or are these just like any other Blu-Ray backup?
    The new UltraHD BluRay comes with a new encryption scheme. It is unknown when or if we will get software that can decrypt them. Also note that an UltraHD BluRay can have a capacity of 100 GB using 3 layers, so a "classic" BluRay reader might not be able to read such discs to begin with even if they were not encrypted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why would u order a 4K UHD so early in the game?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote