VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So...I've been streaming from my PC to TV for a while now. My TV is connected to our wireless network. I've been doing it directly to the TV, and most of the time it's good. But, the folder structure is cumbersome. You select the PC from the network, then Videos, then Folders, then...etc, etc. And they are only organized alphabetically.

The other way I can do it is using our XBox and Windows Media Centre. Works well, but the movies are only organized alphabetically by title.

I realize that I may not have things set up on my PC the best way...with regards to organization.

So...I'm looking for some advice to streamline either or both of the above.

OR....is there another way, like some software, that I can stream to my TV. I realize that having a Media PC or better Media Extender is best.

Would love some advice.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBaker14 View Post
    So...I've been streaming from my PC to TV for a while now. My TV is connected to our wireless network. I've been doing it directly to the TV, and most of the time it's good. But, the folder structure is cumbersome. You select the PC from the network, then Videos, then Folders, then...etc, etc. And they are only organized alphabetically.

The other way I can do it is using our XBox and Windows Media Centre. Works well, but the movies are only organized alphabetically by title.

I realize that I may not have things set up on my PC the best way...with regards to organization.

So...I'm looking for some advice to streamline either or both of the above.

OR....is there another way, like some software, that I can stream to my TV. I realize that having a Media PC or better Media Extender is best.

Would love some advice.

Thanks
    Maybe Plex would make streaming easier. The Plex server would run on the PC, and Plex client app on the TV. (Plex now has an app for Tizen Smart TVs as well as some older models.) However, WTV files will need to be converted to something else for best results. Plex can play them now, but has difficulty finding and organizing them properly. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1096401/#Comment_1096401

Emby might be another option, but there is currently no app for Tizen. If you have a new Samsung TV, you would have to use something other than the TV as a client.

Note that I don't use Plex or Emby because I have an HTPC connected to my PC and don't do much streaming.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK...that's great info, thanks. I'm going to explore those options.

Are you saying that my Samsung Smart Hub might have an app for Plex? You mentioned a Tizen TV, but mine is a Samsung.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK...that's great info, thanks. I'm going to explore those options.

Are you saying that my Samsung Smart Hub might have an app for Plex? You mentioned a Tizen TV, but mine is a Samsung.
    Tizen is the OS for 2015 Samsung smart TVs. For Smart Hub see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXZRw9b1pQ
    Quote Quote  
  5. Gotcha...thanks! I found the app on the Smart Hub.

Here's an additional question: Will the Plex server download cover art and movie info for the videos I already have? I did not receive the art or info when I "acquired" the movies. I'm sure I'll find out once I install the server, but just thought I'd ask.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Also...I just noticed that the Plex server is web based? Do I really want all the movies I "acquired" to be visible online?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why not do the streaming from the PC? On your PC just right click the video file and select "Cast To" (Windows 10) or Play To (Windows 8) and select the TV you want to cast to.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also...I just noticed that the Plex server is web based? Do I really want all the movies I "acquired" to be visible online?
    They won't be visible to everyone on the Internet, only to you. According to the page for the Plex Web App: "Communication happens between the browser and Plex Media Server (your PC) directly. In order to be able to access and manage your content when away from home, you'll need to ensure that you've successfully enabled Remote Access."

[Edit]I added "(your PC)" to the quote.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jan 2016 at 22:14.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, looks like it will be a great solution. However, the Plex app/server on my PC keeps crashing/stopping. Have no idea why.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by darkknight145 View Post
    Why not do the streaming from the PC? On your PC just right click the video file and select "Cast To" (Windows 10) or Play To (Windows 8) and select the TV you want to cast to.
    I have tried...not a good connection. Keeps losing connection. Besides I don't see that option anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, looks like it will be a great solution. However, the Plex app/server on my PC keeps crashing/stopping. Have no idea why.
    We have a few Plex users at VideoHelp and maybe one will spot your thread, but you may get help faster at the Plex forums. They seem to prefer log files posted as attachments.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Gotcha...thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well, it looks like it's running fine now. Perhaps it helped that I rebooted my PC. This is a great app.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote