VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I created a menu and burned the DVD. When I play the DVD no menu is present and the program just plays the movie without the menu. The menu does not play on my my computer or DVD players, just the movie. I created a Blu-Ray and the Blu-Ray plays the menu, as it should, on the Blu-Ray Player, but not on the computer. I never had this problem before. Computer players: VLC and Potplayer.Using Windows 7, 64bit.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Blu Ray is behaving as expected with the software players you've named. There are only a couple of Blu Ray software players that handle menu and navigation functionality completely and they are not free.

As for the DVD not playing the menu on the set top box -- double check your authoring. That's a very easy mistake to make.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I authored as usual, but DVD will not play the menu. Now, the menu comes up at the end and not at the beginning-go figure!
    Last edited by pepegot1; 9th Jan 2016 at 18:48.
    Quote Quote  
  4. PGCEdit should help, load VIDEO_TS and use trace mode. Then by pressing "step" button it will navigate thru DVD structure. So you keep pressing that button and you'll see what it does. It simulates playback.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will try PGEdfit. A new twist: I got it to work properly on the computer. Potplayer plays it perfectly, but VLC screws up the menu display. However, the Blu-Ray player plays it at the end instead of the beginning.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In TmpGenc DVD Author 5 Menu settings
    make sure that you set to Menu on insert DVD action instead Play all tracks:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	35174
    Last edited by roma_turok; 10th Jan 2016 at 10:40.
    Quote Quote  
  7. but VLC screws up the menu display
    I find VLC buggy when it comes to playing DVD. Firstly it defaults to start directly in menu, ie skipping First Play Domain, which may not be what you want.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376282-Coding-a-DVD-to-start-from-the-beginning

Secondly versions after 2.1.5 may render your menus as gray (or pixelated) with the normal/highligted/selected button state still working depending on how your DVD (menu) is authored.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got it to work, but the problem was with the BD player. I reset it by pulling the plug and after that-no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    I got it to work, but the problem was with the BD player. I reset it by pulling the plug and after that-no problem.
    That's hilarious. Well done!
    Quote Quote