I'm using an Elgato Video Capture to convert old home videos on VHS over to .mp4. So far, the process has gone smoothly and all of the videos I've converted play fine in VLC (no audio sync issues), however I wanted to do some cleanup on a few of the videos in Adobe Premiere.
Since the videos are all Variable Frame Rate and Premiere doesn't handle that well, I've been trying to use Handbrake to convert the videos first to Constant Frame Rate and then use that output in Premiere.
I tried it with one file that was about an hour long video and it appeared to do the trick; changing the setting in Handbrake to Constant Frame Rate and converting the file had worked and I didn't really notice any audio sync issues. However then I tried some longer videos, and found that the longer the video, the greater the audio sync would be. Even when using Constant Frame Rate as an option in Handbrake, at the 5:50 mark of a 6 hour video, the audio was about two seconds behind the video. At the start of the video, everything was in sync.
I've attached a MediaInfo export for the source file (the VFR file that I'm attempting to convert to CFR).
Anyone have any suggestions for how I can convert this to CFR and compensate for the audio sync issues?
Thanks in advance
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Try AviSynth and ffms2 (>=2.22) to open the file, seek to the end and see if it is still async:
a=ffaudiosource("F:\Downloads\Dropbox\Laptop to Desktop\50th.mp4") v=ffvideosource("F:\Downloads\Dropbox\Laptop to Desktop\50th.mp4", fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001) AudioDub(v, a)
2: if still async: there's been a problem during the capturing. Try to stretch the audio to see if you can find a matching setting:
AssumeSampleRate(48004) # <- play with this value ResampleAudio(48000)
Going forward, there is no reason to capture VHS at variable frame rate. VHS is always constant frame rate and the problems you introduce by capturing it vfr are not worth any alleged benefit.