VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi to everybody
    I've noticed that is possible to make recognize to the TV if the file is in 3d, avoiding the setting sbs or ou, therefore I believe that the files video that succeed in doing this contains a marker to the purpose.
    Does someone tell me as he does?
    I think that it seems interesting for all people that edit 3D movie.
    thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are encoding a 3D video, and your video encoding software does not support setting the SEI FPA field, you can re-encode the video using software that can set that appropriate field. One such example is the open source encoder called x264 which is part of VideoLan organization. Several commercial encoding software solutions are also adding the ability to set this field.

example command line usage: x264 --frame-packing 3 -o output.mp4 input.mp4 (note: this encoder has many additional parameters so default options are applied)

While you can set the flags and frame packing it's up to how the hardware is designed to respond to different inputs ... hdmi is via frame packing

Everything else is left to manufacturers and if they wanted to implement alternative methods for usb / av input
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    If you are encoding a 3D video, and your video encoding software does not support setting the SEI FPA field....
    Thank Bjs
    I use Handbrake to encode my movies, know you if this software support this feature? even with some plugins!
    Last edited by JeanPaul; 9th Jan 2016 at 11:45.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If handbreak supports additional encoder flags then use

x264 --frame-packing 5 -o [Input].mp4 [Output].mp4
    (5 is for interleaved from 2 video files, left / right eye)

To use handbreak for this you have to go the avfs method to be able to load both files for encoding without handbreak crashing ... once and should it complete the task you should author the output file to bluray iso

3D mkv supports only mvc encoded video ... but it could have changed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    thanks Bjs
    I don't know avfs but, when I find a lot of time, I try to inform me!
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you are using the mkv container it can sometimes be enough to add the mkv flag for 3d. MKVToolNix GUI's header editor can do that to existing mkv files within seconds. Open MKVToolNix GUI, click "edit headers" on the left and open your encoded mkv file with it. Navigate to the video track's "Video stereo mode" element (the last one in the branch), and add it. "1" is common side by side (left eye is first), "3" is top-bottom (left eye is first). Click "Header editor"->"Save" to apply the changesto the mkv file.

Whether this will work or not depends on your player. Personally, I would always create files that have both the H.264 flag (as described by Bjs) and the mkv flag to have the best compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    thanks sneaker for ur help!
    I've tried it and have seen that corrects the 'bframe' but doesn't insert / corrects the 'frame-packing' that seems the flag that points out indeed to the TV that the movie is 3D!

The procedure is simple, therefore I've immediately tried, I still have to try that recommended from Bjs that him give me some help in more I would be him thankful!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    OK, I use handbrake for decode my video files and have tested this command line in video panel extra-option (or in advanced panel of older versions):
    frame-packing=x
    where x = 3 for SBS-left-right 3d files = 4 for OU(over-under) 3d files.

This procedure is fine to me.

Thanks for all
    Quote Quote