VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Handbrake is good but its not what I am looking for. Especially since you can not make a video higher from original resolution if needed & Avidemux is good but I am not a fan of the bitrate calculator stuff. I want 2 enter the exact size. Does a good one exist out there ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think VidCoder will allow upscaling.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    To make a close to 'exact size' you need a two pass encode. Quite a few encoder programs can do that, including Handbrake/VidCoder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Meh so far thanks for the help though guys
    Quote Quote  
  5. I tried VidCoder but that is way 2 difficult. I enter in the Video Resolution I want. Set up settings & all is good. But the first file the Aspect Ratio I want. So I look into settings & change Aspect Ratio but still can not get the correct Aspect Ratio & Video Resolution I want. Are these really it ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You want to change, is it not correct, does the source not display correctly ?
    In many cases the only way to change the aspect is too crop the picture/video frame
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    May need to change the mod to mod4 or mod2 in order to get a resolution not divisble by 16 or 8.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So how exactly can I get 1280x720 with 16:9 ? Anyone got a walk through ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1280x720 IS 16:9 (for all square-pixel layouts).

Be clearer. What is your current source resolutions & DAR? What is your intended target resolutions & DAR (the 1280x720 / 16:9 as mentioned above)?

The master formula:
    Code:
    H rez / V rez * PAR = DAR
    will take care of your needs, and of course you can do an Instance#1 and an Instance#2 and then use an equivalency to plug parts of one into the variables of the other to get your unknown.

As you can see by plugging in your mentioned items...
    Code:
    1280 / 720 * 1.0 (square pixel AR) = 1.777777777777 (aka 16:9)
    This can be used with ANY app, once you are used to the formula and once you know which variables the app is referencing (they can use slightly different nomenclature). You just have to have a complete understanding of what you really want.

Also, you refer to resolution but then also talk about "size", but the way you are throwing that term around makes me believe you are actually wanting info on BITRATE. Another important rule: for most types of lossy encoding, Bitrate is Irrespective of Resolution. Choose your resolution, but also choose your bitrate. Understand, however, that the higher your resolution is, the higher your bitrate will need to be to maintain quality without increased artifacts. IOW, 320x240 using 1Mbps of AVC is usually plenty of bitrate to give good quality, while 1280x720 using 1Mbps of AVC might be OK but it might not, and 1920x1080 using 1Mbps of AVC is going to be showing some weakness (or a lot, depending on content type).

So maybe you should give us some info about what you consider to be a comfortable bitrate (and possibly WHY you think so, since you may be surprised to find fallacies in your assumption). Note also, that almost NO encoder would be giving you an EXACT size that you intend (though they can get close).

If you ARE considering upscaling, WHY? Many/most players and/or display devices can do realtime upscaling, lessening the need to actually have an upscaled version be encoded.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 8th Jan 2016 at 23:10.
    Quote Quote  
  10. & I will just start looking at other programs. This one is just 2 difficult
    Quote Quote  
  11. You reveal absolutely nothing about your original video parameters, so how do you expect to get help? Post mediainfo readings, if you do not know what those properties are.

Perhaps your original display aspect ratio (DAR) is not 16:9 and you want DAR as 16:9, which has to end up as letterbox, that means with black bars. But that is a presumption, based on very little or no info, just a guess.
    Quote Quote