VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there,

Who I am: A piano teacher trying to create videos, where my hands on the piano are in the bottom and an on-screen keyboard highlighting the keys is on top. I'm using VirtualDub to record video from my webcam and a separate program to record screen capture simultaneously. I need to stack both of these videos and they need to be perfectly synced.

Ideally, I'd love to capture the screen and the webcam simultaneously in VirtualDub. If that's not possible, research on the web (this forum also) suggests using AviSynth.

Installed it but confused:

1) After I write a script to stack the videos, what then? Do I open the script in VirtualDub for my final post?
    2) Say I get past the codec and video-not-same-width issues, how do I sync the videos? Will I be able to edit them separately in the same VirtualDub?

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by acgrall View Post
    1) After I write a script to stack the videos, what then? Do I open the script in VirtualDub for my final post?
    Yes. Or any other encoder/editor that accepts AviSynth scripts.

Originally Posted by acgrall View Post
    2) Say I get past the codec and video-not-same-width issues, how do I sync the videos?
    You can use Trim() in AviSynth to remove parts of one video to get them in sync. For example:

Code:
    v1 = AviSource("video1.avi").Trim(55,0) # remove first 55 frames to sync with video2
    v2 = AviSource("video2.avi")
    StackVertical(v1,v2)
    Loop() can be used to add frames. Crop() to crop away part of the frame to make frame width or height match. Any of the Resize() filters can be used to change the frame size any of the videos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your quick response!
    I'm going to try all this later. Will let you know if I need more help...

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

So I have found an open source program that will allow me to simultaneously capture video and screen and audio. Awesome.
    (Open Broadcaster Software if anyone wants to know).

Now all I want to do in VirtualDub is to black out the bottom 30% or so of the video so the focus is just on my hands on the keyboard. Tried using the resize filter but either I don't understand it (most likely) or it's not what I need to use.

-Andy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In avisynth, if you want to black out a side you can do this. Virtualdub will accept and use avisynth scripts.

Blacking out the bottom example:
    Code:
    crop(0, 0, 0, -100)
    AddBorders(0, 0, 0, 100)
    Basically this crops the bottom, and then adds back a black border of equal size. But you can chose any color you want for the border.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Crop
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AddBorders

Open Broadcaster Software is awesome.
    Quote Quote