VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Friends: I am looking for a freebie software which would convert .avi or .mpg files to .udf format in order to play in a regular DVD player. I tried Peazip, DVD Flick, Iskysoft video converter, DVD Styler, WinX DVD Author, all without success. Some would burn to CDFS which would play in a PC but not in a DVD player. I am only filling up my hard drive with useless software. Could someone tell me of a software that would actually work? Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I don't understand. What is "the .udf format"? I only know UDF as a file system on optical media like DVD Video or Blu-ray. But they are way more complex than just one file. And probably not a file with the extension ".udf", rather ".iso" or ".mds"+".mdf".

If I wanted to burn different data files onto a data DVD using the UDF file system, I would use ImgBurn. But that would not be really compatible to basic DVD players. Some advanced media players may a smaller or bigger play part of its content, depending on the contained video and audio formats.

If I wanted to convert different media files to a "DVD Video" media according to its specifications, I would need both an MPEG-2 video encoder, an AC3 audio encoder, and a DVD authoring tool; there are several free applications doing parts of this job, up to DVD Flick trying to be an all-in-one solution; and there are commercial tools like VSO ConvertXtoDVD. But the more you know about the DVD Video specifications, the better. They are rather tight.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVD Flick and DVD Styler should produce correctly authored DVD Video. Dunno about the other ones you tried...

It may be your problem lies in burning the VIDEO_TS folder to physical disc. Use ImgBurn only. It will recognize your DVD Video and prompt you to use the correct file system.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote