VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys i am just after a bit of advice.

I used to use dvdlab to authorize my dvds, i gave that a shot last night and it is not as good as i remember the text links are blurry and it just does not look good, so i was wondering what to use now as dvdlab seems out of date now.

all i want to do is some motion menus nothing to complex, but i am at a loss as what program to use now, a friend has offered to give me cyberlink powerdirector disk but i just want something like dvd lab as thats all i used to use.

any help advice would be great thanks.
    Last edited by jimmyboyl; 3rd Jan 2016 at 07:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    So you mean that you had a good version of DVD-Lab Pro, but you threw it into the garbage can?

a friend has offered me a copy of his cyberlink power director 12
    The forum rules don't allow us to discuss warez
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    So you mean that you had a good version of DVD-Lab Pro, but you threw it into the garbage can?

a friend has offered me a copy of his cyberlink power director 12
    The forum rules don't allow us to discuss warez
    Hi sorry its not a copy its a genuine version of cyberlink he hust does not use 12 anymore, poor wording on my part.

No i still have dvdlab but the quality of the output is not great ie blurry text links. So i was just wanting to know what is a good programme to use as i am overwhelmed by them all.
    Last edited by jimmyboyl; 3rd Jan 2016 at 07:53.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-Lab is good entry-level DVD authoring software. Cyberlink PowerDirector won't do a better job.

The text looks blurry when compared to what? Remember that DVD video is interlaced and uses relatively low resolution by today's standards. Text and especially highlights won't be perfectly crisp no matter what authoring software you use. Also, if you are using software to play the DVD, some DVD player software does a better job overlaying text highlights than others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When going from image->video, you're likely to have problems in color space conversion, likely going from RGB->YUV. It can hurt quality.

This can be even worse with text, especially when it's text->image->video.

I don't use any of these tools, so don't know what to say, but I'd suggest you look more carefully at your settings as there could be better options.

I personally have been using Nero's Nero Vision for years now when I want to do a simple authoring. Yeah, it's not free, and some people here will diss it as some sort of bloatware or virus, but I've removed many of these "extra curricular activities" rather easily, and in the end I do think it's a good tool. Still using a very old version that works just as well today when it comes to simple DvD menus and such.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why is nobody asking what the SOURCE is?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Why is nobody asking what the SOURCE is?
    Because the OP is complaining that the text links on the menus are blurry. Authoring software normally creates those and the highlights for them, although the DVD authoring software I use calls the text links "buttons".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I felt too that it was an authoring issue, not necessarily a source issue.

But I was also thinking that the O/P may have been uploading some image into the menu creation, which can further compound the situation.

Another thing with blurry text/menus - this may be the display you're using as well.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Small colored text will always be blurry on DVD because of the YUV 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319360-DVD-LAB-PRO-color-map?p=1977264&viewfull=1#post1977264
    Quote Quote