VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to find the best settings for Bandicam, but it seems like no matter what codecs or programs I use, stuff turns out blurry. Colors turn dull. Take this text for example down below: (Not pixelated vs pixelated)
    Text always has some kind of blurry pixelation around the edges.. (hard to see unless you zoom in but the lower quality is still there) but in the original it's more crisp and is what I see on my screen.

Please help me ASAP!! I want to start recording games and stuff but this is driving me nuts! It seems like x264 or Lagarith Lossless Codec or any other doesn't seem to get rid of this problem..
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	notpixelated.png
Views:	309
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	35073  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pixelated.png
Views:	455
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	35074  

Quote Quote  
  2. Capture in RGB and use Lagarith (or some other losses codec like UT Video Codec) in RGB mode and you'll have an exact copy of what was on the screen; no blurring of colors and no artifacts. But eventually in your proecessing you'll probably end up encoding with a lossy codec like h.264 and you will get blurred colors from the 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, DCT ringing artifacts, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Colors still seem to be changing under those settings for me.. also, the video is laggier than when initially recording..
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's an issue with bandicam and external codecs. It appears to undergo some other additional colorspace transforms that it shouldn't be. But RGB24 (ie. uncompressed 8 bit RGB) will work if you have fast enough I/O and system, or you will drop frames. Huge storage requirements
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    It's an issue with bandicam and external codecs. It appears to undergo some other additional colorspace transforms that it shouldn't be. But RGB24 (ie. uncompressed 8 bit RGB) will work if you have fast enough I/O and system, or you will drop frames. Huge storage requirements
    What do you recommend I do then? I want to be able to have the best possible quality without taking up too much hard drive space, but not small enough so that the quality is worsened.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Jirachi View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    It's an issue with bandicam and external codecs. It appears to undergo some other additional colorspace transforms that it shouldn't be. But RGB24 (ie. uncompressed 8 bit RGB) will work if you have fast enough I/O and system, or you will drop frames. Huge storage requirements
    What do you recommend I do then? I want to be able to have the best possible quality without taking up too much hard drive space, but not small enough so that the quality is worsened.
    You have to decide what trade offs you want to make. For some people a few GB is too much, for others TB's is no problem. But it appears the only option that is full color is RGB24 for bandicam, at least with the recent version

There is evidence of intermediate chroma subsampling when I tested some other RGB codecs. Chroma subsampling means your color edges won't be razor sharp because the color information is reduced. Theoretically all the other lossless RGB options like the ones jagabo mentioned above should have been lossless (they are when used properly in other programs) , but bandicam is doing some inbetween steps and causing those issues.

I like using quicksync when on an intel system for generic recording, because the discrete GPU can be used for other things, and you have low impact on CPU cycles which can also be used for other things. But it's YV12 subsampled (4:2:0), and it depends what you are recording /what situation you are in I guess

or you can try some other screen recording software.
    Quote Quote