VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been using an older version of Firefox and a older version of Video Download Helper. I still can record streaming video from quite a few websites. However now I have a need to upgrade my Browser either Internet Explorer or Firefox. The problem with upgrading IE is that I use Windows Live Mail as my main email program for personal use. If one upgrades to Internet Explorer 11 from what I have read it screws up Windows Live Mail. The trouble with upgrading Firefox is I don't want to loose my current setup with the older version of Firefox because I have read about all kinds of aggravations with the new Video Download Helper and this older version of Video Download Helper works only with Firefox 35.01. I have Video Download Helper version 4.9.24 installed.

I have read that one can have two different versions of Firefox on ones computer but I am worried it could lead to problems, though having an outdated browser can lead to problems as well. I suppose I could install chrome but I have always be cautious of that because I thought it wasn't as good as the other browsers. We have a two month trial of Showmi streaming video service and for now the only way I will be able to check it out on my Computer. Though I suppose I could upgrade my sister's laptop browser and watch Showmi from there. But that has the problems of bugging my sister to borrow her laptop to watch TV shows.

So what I was hoping was to have two versions of Firefox my current one with what it can accomplish and another one perhaps just for Showmi and I won't bother installing Video Downloadhelper on it or any other streaming video capture programs as I am sure they are useless for stuff like that and it is best just to sit back and enjoy the streaming video stuff without worrying about archiving it. That being said the old Firefox browser it would be nice to use that to record stuff until that no longer works.

Any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance. Happy New Year to everyone!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The latest version of Video Download Helper is 5.4.2, why not upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not backup your Firefox profile, then update Video Download Helper to the latest version, experiment with it and see if it gives you any problems? If it does, then just restore your profile from the copy. Otherwise, you'll probably be able to update both Firefox and VDH without problems.

I know it's possible to use more than one install of Firefox on a computer with separate profile directories, but I don't remember how, offhand. You might also consider trying Seamonkey (as the secondary browser). VDH works with Seamonkey, too, I think.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ai Haibara: I just downloaded Seamonkey. Unfortunately VDH won't work on Seamonkey. I will consider the profile option and do some research on that. I also downloaded Chrome and I can access Shomi through it. Thank you for your advice. Maybe I can update my sister's laptop to the newest Firefox version and test out VDH on that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... I thought I recalled reading that someone was able to get it to work on Seamonkey. Does it install if you download the extension's .XPI and drag it onto a Seamonkey window?
    (There's converters that will attempt to convert a Firefox extension to a Seamonkey extension, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea for something as 'complex' as VDH.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not upgrade to 5.4.2?

Anyway you may be able to tell Firefox which version VDH can be used on. I use a rarely updated Firefox addon called Abine to manage passwords. Only problem is that they don't keep up with the Firefox update cycle, meaning that every time I update it stops working. Only way around this is for me to edit the install.rdf file for Abine. It's located at

C:\Users\YourAccout\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\YourProfile\extensions\abine@abine.com\install.rdf

The install.rdf file can be edited with notepad, and I just change

<em:minVersion>4.0</em:minVersion>
    <em:maxVersion>43</em:maxVersion>
    Just change the min and max version to your liking and it should accept it. In Firefox 43 you have to change it to allow unsigned addons. By using about:config

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/375934-Firefox-Disabling-Unsigned-Extensions
    Quote Quote  
  7. You might try Cyberfox. It's a fork of Firefox, so it has all the newest updates, plus some its own fixes, plus it can look like old Firefox (you can have old search bar for example). Its profile and settings are separate from Firefox, so you can have both working at the same time.

https://cyberfox.8pecxstudios.com/

A few versions to choose: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cyberfox/ - http://sourceforge.net/projects/cyberfox/files/

Or try a portable version:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cyberfoxportabl/ --- http://sourceforge.net/projects/cyberfoxportabl/files/

For downloading for example from youtube I recommend Complete YouTube Saver addon: http://www.cys-audiovideodownloader.com/ or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/complete-youtube-saver/ (sometimes you need to look for the newest version here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/complete-youtube-saver/versions/ )

It can download all formats and subtitles too. Don't forget to download ffmpeg files (read http://www.cys-audiovideodownloader.com/Converter.html )too and tick everything you need in the CYS settings.
    Last edited by AllisOne; 2nd Jan 2016 at 03:39.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Use portable version - additionally i personally recommend Pale Moon http://www.palemoon.org/ as FF better alternative.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you all for the additional information. I have read that a portable version of Firefox might work without screwing up the existing one. I installed Chrome and I was able to get Showmi working. I had to turn on third party cookies and I had to have just a regular browser session as opposed to an icognito one for the streaming video to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Guess we will never know why OP won't just upgrade to 5.4.2, making it more compatible with later firefoxs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. KarMa: I have in the past kept up with the upgrades in Firefox and the upgrades in the Video Download Helper. However at a certain point in time, I upgraded Firefox and the Video Download Helper and then the program could no longer download videos. So I downloaded and installed an earlier version of Firefox and found the version of Video Download Helper that worked with that. Then I read the reviews and comments about VDH and how it had changed and how difficult it was to use and from people wrote there was a tie in with a convertor you had to pay for. There were quite a few people writing those reviews but I have read over at VDH that those people were trolls.

So what I think I will do is update the Firefox on my sister's laptop and then get the newest VDH and try it out for myself to see if they were right or wrong. If I find it works as well as what I have now then I can make the transition on my desktop computer. I don't know whether to believe the trolls if they were trolls or the makers of VDH.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    ... having an outdated browser can lead to problems as well...
    That's a big understatement.

I don't even run windows anymore, and I wouldn't use any program with internet connectivity that's not up to date. And that's in Linux, where you don't get viruses. I don't use an AV program and none of the much more knowledgeable Linux geeks I know do either. But of course you can still get hacked in Linux, so my browsers all are up to date.

Doing that in Windows is just asking to get hacked. You're practically begging for it ... for a stupid dl plugin that's just one of many ...
    Quote Quote  
  13. If you do start experimenting with other versions of Firefox, here's a few tips that might help.

Backup your profile folder. It contains all of your installed add-ons, bookmarks, preferences etc. If you back it up, you can go back to your current state simply by restoring the backup copy. These links might help.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox#Navigating_to_the_profile_folder

I moved mine permanently and it resides subfolder of My Documents where it's nice and easy to get to and make backup copies.

Firefox checks a simple text file for the location of the profile folder. It's called "profiles.ini". I'll let you ask Google where to find it for your version of Windows if you're interested. For XP it's located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

Open it with Notepad and you'll see something like this:

[General]
    StartWithLastProfile=0

[Profile0]
    Name=Firefox
    IsRelative=0
    Path=D:\My Stuff\Firefox Copy 1
    Default=1
    IsRelative will probably be "1". Change it to "0" and Firefox will use the Path location for the profile folder.

Firefox has a built in profile manager but I'd have to ask Google how to use it. I just modify the profiles.ini file.

I mention all of the above as you don't need to be scared of making a mess if you decide to experiment. You could create multiple copies of your profile folder (as an example):

D:\My Stuff\Firefox Copy 1
    D:\My Stuff\Firefox Copy 2
    D:\My Stuff\Firefox Copy 3
    D:\My Stuff\Firefox Copy 4

If Firefox is currently using the "Firefox Copy 1" profile folder, switch to using "Firefox Copy 2", upgrade it, restart Firefox and let it make a mess trying to upgrade add-ons etc. If you hate it, uninstall it, re-install the old version and go back to using the "Firefox Copy 1" profile folder and you'll be back to where you started.

Others have mentioned Firefox alternatives. ie browsers based on Mozilla. I use Pale Moon myself. It looks more like the old Firefox and there's no issue installing another browser such as Pale Moon and Firefox at the same time. For the record, Pale Moon's system of user profiles is exactly the same as Firefox. No reason why you couldn't make a copy of your Firefox profile and tell Pale Moon to use it. Aside from possible add-on compatibility issues that should work fine and it can save time installing add-ons individually from scratch.. For XP, the Pale Moon profiles.ini folder can be found at:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\profiles.ini

The latest version of Video Download Helper doesn't work with Pale Moon, but 4.9.24 does. If you're using an older version of Firefox, chances are your current add-ons will mostly continue to work with Pale Moon. There's a list of possible incompatible add-ons here with workarounds and alternatives.

I mention this download add-on because I like how simple it is. It only works for YouTube.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-youtube/versions/
    1.8.5 is the latest, and until it's approved by the Mozilla add-on police you can find it at the above link. I've been using it for a few weeks without any issue. It can be installed at the same time as Video Download Helper.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 3rd Jan 2016 at 13:41.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I don't even run windows anymore, and I wouldn't use any program with internet connectivity that's not up to date. And that's in Linux, where you don't get viruses. I don't use an AV program and none of the much more knowledgeable Linux geeks I know do either. But of course you can still get hacked in Linux, so my browsers all are up to date.

Doing that in Windows is just asking to get hacked. You're practically begging for it ... for a stupid dl plugin that's just one of many ...
    I run XP. I haven't run Windows update since May 2013 (the last time I made an image of the setup). I ran an outdated Firefox for quite a while before I discovered Pale Moon because I hate the new Firefox GUI, but I prefer to keep my browser up to date if possible.
    I haven't run an anti-virus program for at least 5 years. I don't run anti-anything software. I don't run a software Firewall (I'm behind a router).

Actually.... I tell a lie. I run uBlock Origin (newer version of Adblock) and it includes a couple of Malware domain lists that are enabled by default, so it'll warn me about naughty websites. How do people get infected? I don't recall having an unwanted guest on my PC since I stopped using IE5.
    Quote Quote  
  15. hello_hello: Thank you for your advice. I am going to try that profile advice for Firefox. I have installed Pale Moon and the version of VDH that you mentioned. VDH works well for Vimeo and other sites like that. YouTube is problematic with something akin to f4f files a bunch of small segments that are too quick to keep up with. The one problem so far with Palemoon is my Norton Anti-Virus doesn't integrate in it like it would with Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox.

Hooser Bob: I may very upgrade to the latest Firefox as I don't want to be hacked.
    Quote Quote  
  16. What does antivirus "integration" actually do?

Originally, antivirus programs just checked the reads and writes etc to your hard drive for anything virus-like, and maybe kept an eye on what's using memory, and then they started integrating with this program and that one..... but to be honest I'm still fairly sceptical as to how much of that is purely marketing.

When I was running an antivirus program I used Avira because at the time I think it was the only remaining free program that just did it's virus policing thing without needing to integrate with anything and slow the PC to a crawl. But maybe I have no clue and just don't get it. That's always possible....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've sometimes download the old plugins, opened the XPI (just a zip file), and altered the dates to allow it to install. That's often the main problem. Not always, but often.

So no need to regret updating and trying the new version.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. hello_hello: Thanks for all your advice. I have Norton Anti-Virus as I find it a comfort because it tells me when it is blocking something harmful when I surfing the internet. I installed the newest portable version of Firefox and tested out the newest version of Video Downloader Helper. It worked very well and it is capable of recording f4f streaming video which the old version I had couldn't do.

lordsmurf: Thank you for your advice. I also want to express my gratitude for the knowledge you have imparted here over the years. I followed your guide on what were the best blank discs to buy and it worked out well for me.

So I can upgrade my original Firefox if this testing continues to work out well on the Portable Version. It will feel good to be up to date with the current version of Firefox as I wasn't comfortable with the possible lack of security being behind the times.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I've sometimes download the old plugins, opened the XPI (just a zip file), and altered the dates to allow it to install. That's often the main problem. Not always, but often.

So no need to regret updating and trying the new version.
    Would this have the same effect?
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/

I discovered a new Mozilla related annoyance the other day. A Pale Moon annoyance, to be specific. Some add-on developers don't include Pale Moon compatibility and so their add-ons won't install. Possibly because supporting Firefox must require a fair amount of work, continually fixing extensions as Mozilla breaks them, so they don't want to support another browser too.

Extension Options Menu is one such add-on. I was very sad when it wouldn't install in Pale Moon. We've been together for years and it's the little things.....

To make non-compatible extensions compatible with Pale Moon, you need to do the xpi unzipping thing and add the following line to the chrome.manifest file:

overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://optionsmenu/content/OptionsMenuOverlayFF.xul application={8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}

I don't fully understand how the compatibility thing works or what the numbers mean but adding the above lines to the chrome.manifest file allowed me to install "Extension Options Menu" add-on and it works perfectly.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 4th Jan 2016 at 03:48. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  20. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Some add-on developers don't include Pale Moon compatibility and so their add-ons won't install. Possibly because supporting Firefox must require a fair amount of work, continually fixing extension as Mozilla breaks them, so they don't won't to support another browser too.
    Some add-on developers? I would say "most" of them.
    The add-on pages at Mozilla.org even don't let the ordinary users of Seamonkey download the add-ons which were not marked as "compatible with Seamonkey".
    Surely it's because those programmers were assimilated into the Firefox Collective.
    Otherwise, they would have already stopped supporting Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Since you are talking about browser security you might be interested by EMET:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2458544

As to how people get infected, well it's the usual suspects, warez, flash or java exploits, dancing pigs, outdated software, outdated OS, social engineering ...

one example:
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/12/outlook-letterbomb-exploit-could-auto-open-att...cks-in-e-mail/

statistics for 2015 :
    https://securelist.com/analysis/kaspersky-security-bulletin/73038/kaspersky-security-b...tics-for-2015/
    Quote Quote  
  22. I upgraded my Firefox to the newest version and upgraded Video Download Helper as well. I am glad I tested everything on the portable Firefox first. I am thankful for all the advice I have received here at Videohelp.

ackboo: I have EMET, I installed it quite some time ago when Microsoft suggested it.

Thank you everyone for your advice; I appreciate your time and effort.
    Quote Quote