VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It strikes me that MPC-HC has issues when playing a DVD from HDD incase there is a menu.

The DVD start page comes up
    There is a menu, select which episode, from that point on: the playback buttons are greyed out - spinning circle.

DVD's without a menu play well.

Am using MPC-HC in default settings, no external filters.

Any suggestions?

=
    Later: I tried VLC Player x64 on a virtual machine. Default settings. No issues with the menu.
    VLC starts pixelated / 'blocky' for one second, but after that everything is okay.
    Last edited by vhwul62; 1st Jan 2016 at 03:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All DVDs?
    Latest version?
    Is it just from the HDD that causes this problem(Open DVD/BD and select folder)?

I just tried MPC-HC 1.7.3 and loaded a dvd from the HDD. The playback buttons are not grayed out after I choose to play an episode(SEINFELD!).
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, not all DVD's, but the ones with a 'user created episode-selection' menu.
    So a DVD that has a menu with
    Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4

When selecting an episode (any episode), the playback buttons are greyed out and I got this spinning circle.
    (see attachment)

Other DVD's, with 'normal' menu's (play movie, chapter selection, languages, etc.), they play well.

As said, I downloaded VLC 2.2.1 and no problem with the menu's.

=
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    User created episode-selection?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Rather than blaming MPC-HC (which I use virtually every day of my life and have never encountered the problem), it might be better to look at how these user created episode-selection' menus were created.

I wouldn't attach any importance to the fact that VLC player plays them but MPC-HC doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Matter already solved:
    uninstalled MPC-HC and installed VLC.
    Maybe one day in future they find a way to fix this.

It is definitely a (minor) bug in MPC-HC as these DVD's also play well
    whilst using an external HDD connected to my media player in the living room (TV)

Thanks.
    =
    Quote Quote  
  7. Who says I am blaming MPC-HC?

Wrong impression I guess : I have also been using it all the time.

Way back I have tried a couple of players and came to the conclusion that MPC-HC was the right one for me.
    It works fine, only the menu thing seems to be an issue.

=
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    User created episode-selection?
    +1.

Wild guess: VLC is more tolerant than MPC-HC, regarding improperly-authored DVD-video.

FWIW: some years ago, I managed to (mis)create a couple of DVDs which played fine on any computer,
    but they "froze" the standalone DVD players
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    Who says I am blaming MPC-HC?
    You are:
    Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    It strikes me that MPC-HC has issues when playing a DVD from HDD incase there is a menu.
    It is definitely a (minor) bug in MPC-HC...
    I'm with El Heggunte:
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    VLC is more tolerant than MPC-HC, regarding improperly-authored DVD-video.
    I've created probably over 1000 DVDs with menus over the years and not one has ever had the problem yours do when testing with MPC-HC. VLC Player is known as a player not to use for testing out home-made DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm using ver 1.6.5.6366 ?

over the Xmas weekend i authored a DVD of 5 separately recorded Xmas specials from the 1960's
    mpc-hc plays this perfectly , no problems choosing which title to watch

authored with avi2dvd, and NOT the latest version, mines about a yr old, 6 mo at least, it still has Qnec encoder in it
    Quote Quote  
  11. It isn't ideal, I know, but I have installed VLC as well, i.e. have both MPC-HC and VLC.
    VLC for the MPC-non playing DVDs.

For NON-DVD files MPC is doing a better job I think.
    (e.g. sometimes, when playing a mp4/.mkv file, VLC starts off with 1-2 seconds with 'blocks')

[ATTACH]35329[/ATTACH
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SnagIt-23012016 065243.png
Views:	235
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	35329  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It isn't ideal, I know, but I have installed VLC as well, i.e. have both MPC-HC and VLC.
    VLC for the MPC-non playing DVDs.

For NON-DVD files MPC is doing a better job I think.
    (e.g. sometimes, when playing a mp4/.mkv file, VLC starts off with 1-2 seconds with 'blocks')
    Whatever video you are trying to play in that picture, it was problaly cut on a frame besides a key frame or another problem from a video file being cut. Anyway I've noticed that MPC will just skip the bad part and just play the audio with a black screen until the next key frame. VLC will just play you the damage part without hiding it. Since your video is 1:47 long, I would bet it's a cut video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Could be, I don't know. MPC shows a black screen, nothing happens, not after 10 seconds, not after a minute. MPC hangs.
    Note that the the above distortion was just 5 frames. I made a screenrecording of it and then imported it into a video editor (that is why it is just 1:47).

Only in the editor I could make a screenshot of the distortion which took maybe a second or so and therefore I was unable to capture it using a regular screencapture tool, such as FastStone.
    =
    Quote Quote