VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It strikes me that MPC-HC has issues when playing a DVD from HDD incase there is a menu.

The DVD start page comes up
    There is a menu, select which episode, from that point on: the playback buttons are greyed out - spinning circle.

DVD's without a menu play well.

Am using MPC-HC in default settings, no external filters.

Any suggestions?

=
    Later: I tried VLC Player x64 on a virtual machine. Default settings. No issues with the menu.
    VLC starts pixelated / 'blocky' for one second, but after that everything is okay.
    Last edited by vhwul62; 1st Jan 2016 at 03:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All DVDs?
    Latest version?
    Is it just from the HDD that causes this problem(Open DVD/BD and select folder)?

I just tried MPC-HC 1.7.3 and loaded a dvd from the HDD. The playback buttons are not grayed out after I choose to play an episode(SEINFELD!).
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, not all DVD's, but the ones with a 'user created episode-selection' menu.
    So a DVD that has a menu with
    Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4

When selecting an episode (any episode), the playback buttons are greyed out and I got this spinning circle.
    (see attachment)

Other DVD's, with 'normal' menu's (play movie, chapter selection, languages, etc.), they play well.

As said, I downloaded VLC 2.2.1 and no problem with the menu's.

=
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    User created episode-selection?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Rather than blaming MPC-HC (which I use virtually every day of my life and have never encountered the problem), it might be better to look at how these user created episode-selection' menus were created.

I wouldn't attach any importance to the fact that VLC player plays them but MPC-HC doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Matter already solved:
    uninstalled MPC-HC and installed VLC.
    Maybe one day in future they find a way to fix this.

It is definitely a (minor) bug in MPC-HC as these DVD's also play well
    whilst using an external HDD connected to my media player in the living room (TV)

Thanks.
    =
    Quote Quote  
  7. Who says I am blaming MPC-HC?

Wrong impression I guess : I have also been using it all the time.

Way back I have tried a couple of players and came to the conclusion that MPC-HC was the right one for me.
    It works fine, only the menu thing seems to be an issue.

=
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    User created episode-selection?
    +1.

Wild guess: VLC is more tolerant than MPC-HC, regarding improperly-authored DVD-video.

FWIW: some years ago, I managed to (mis)create a couple of DVDs which played fine on any computer,
    but they "froze" the standalone DVD players
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    Who says I am blaming MPC-HC?
    You are:
    Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    It strikes me that MPC-HC has issues when playing a DVD from HDD incase there is a menu.
    It is definitely a (minor) bug in MPC-HC...
    I'm with El Heggunte:
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    VLC is more tolerant than MPC-HC, regarding improperly-authored DVD-video.
    I've created probably over 1000 DVDs with menus over the years and not one has ever had the problem yours do when testing with MPC-HC. VLC Player is known as a player not to use for testing out home-made DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm using ver 1.6.5.6366 ?

over the Xmas weekend i authored a DVD of 5 separately recorded Xmas specials from the 1960's
    mpc-hc plays this perfectly , no problems choosing which title to watch

authored with avi2dvd, and NOT the latest version, mines about a yr old, 6 mo at least, it still has Qnec encoder in it
    Quote Quote  
  11. It isn't ideal, I know, but I have installed VLC as well, i.e. have both MPC-HC and VLC.
    VLC for the MPC-non playing DVDs.

For NON-DVD files MPC is doing a better job I think.
    (e.g. sometimes, when playing a mp4/.mkv file, VLC starts off with 1-2 seconds with 'blocks')

[ATTACH]35329[/ATTACH
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SnagIt-23012016 065243.png
Views:	449
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	35329  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It isn't ideal, I know, but I have installed VLC as well, i.e. have both MPC-HC and VLC.
    VLC for the MPC-non playing DVDs.

For NON-DVD files MPC is doing a better job I think.
    (e.g. sometimes, when playing a mp4/.mkv file, VLC starts off with 1-2 seconds with 'blocks')
    Whatever video you are trying to play in that picture, it was problaly cut on a frame besides a key frame or another problem from a video file being cut. Anyway I've noticed that MPC will just skip the bad part and just play the audio with a black screen until the next key frame. VLC will just play you the damage part without hiding it. Since your video is 1:47 long, I would bet it's a cut video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Could be, I don't know. MPC shows a black screen, nothing happens, not after 10 seconds, not after a minute. MPC hangs.
    Note that the the above distortion was just 5 frames. I made a screenrecording of it and then imported it into a video editor (that is why it is just 1:47).

Only in the editor I could make a screenshot of the distortion which took maybe a second or so and therefore I was unable to capture it using a regular screencapture tool, such as FastStone.
    =
    Quote Quote