VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. From my understanding, these are generally not as highly regarded as jewel cases - I just wanted to see if there were any good books out there.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look in your local dollar store or similar,that's where i buy mine and they are better than jewel case cause they don't crack or fall apart as easy.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I wouldn't use wallets for archival purposes.

With Blu-ray especially, we've seen several instances of people storing discs in wallets and having them imprint on the surface of the recording side of the discs. Something about the plasticizers in the plastic of the wallets was causing severe problems on the hard coating of the Blu-ray discs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have never had that issue,i took a 13 year old cd out of a wallet and it copied all the files to my hdd.Kinda like a felt pen ruins discs issue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Not all wallets are created equally well I suppose. I used to use wallets myself, but found they were not very good for protecting the discs, causing scratches and having the plastic sleeves sticking to the discs. I've gone entirely to individual slim cases stored vertically in a custom cabinet, with no weight pressing on them.

The issue with the Blu-ray discs was a complete surprise, as I would have thought the hard coat would help protect them more. I may be wrong about the plasticizer however, after I looked back at a few of the threads over at MyCE. They believed it was more likely that the hard coat is actually elastic and it is possible to leave impressions in it with any kind of pressure applied to it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I find blu-ray disc have different problems,i tried to copy all the files from a blu-ray disc to my hdd and the last 3 files wouldn't copy,the same disc in my blu-ray would play except for the same 3 files that wouldn't copy,after leaving the disc alone for a few hours the 3 files copied and played on the blu-ray player with no issues.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Lots of valuable info - never heard about the blu-rays 'decomposing' in CD books - any suggested links for buying cases?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The storage albums I've used successfully in the past had Tyvek inserts. Tyvek is a reinforced fabric.
    The albums with clear or frosted plastic did seem to have problems with some of my CD stored for a long period, mainly sticking to the discs.

One of the problems with sleeves of all types is frequent removal and inserting of the discs can cause scratches on the discs.
    That's one reason many recommend 'jewel' cases. Or you can also store burned discs in the 'cake box' that the original discs come in.
    Discs have a raised center that keeps the burned surfaces from contacting other discs.
    Quote Quote