VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have just purchased a Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Blu-ray recorder and must have inadvertently altered a setting by accident when setting it up.
    It will not record in DR mode. If I select "Record Mode" the word "Off" is in brackets alongside the DR option, and when I set the unit up manually to record a program the DR option is blacked out and the cursor skips across it. If I then leave the next selection at "Off", and after the program is recorded, go to "File Conversion" I find that the program was recorded in HL mode.
    I have been through the user manual more than once, and checked out every available option on screen, but can find no way to turn the DR recording mode back on. Can you help me?
    Thanks,
    Barry
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ducatiman39 View Post
    Hi,
    I have just purchased a Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Blu-ray recorder and must have inadvertently altered a setting by accident when setting it up.
    It will not record in DR mode. If I select "Record Mode" the word "Off" is in brackets alongside the DR option, and when I set the unit up manually to record a program the DR option is blacked out and the cursor skips across it. If I then leave the next selection at "Off", and after the program is recorded, go to "File Conversion" I find that the program was recorded in HL mode.
    I have been through the user manual more than once, and checked out every available option on screen, but can find no way to turn the DR recording mode back on. Can you help me?
    Thanks,
    Barry
    I downloaded the PDF manual from Panasonic's website. Assuming you have not already tried to reset the recorder, see page 92 for more information about "Default Settings" and "Shipping Condition".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks usually-quiet for taking the time to read the manual.
    However, I did try resetting the recorder to shipping condition and even though, like you, I really believed this would fix the problem it made no difference. DR recording mode was still locked out. All it achieved was that I had to retune the recorder, arrange my settings and favourites again and re-enter the programs I had previously set for future recording.
    Regards,
    Barry
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you have already checked, but is there any chance that you have set up the recorder to record to a USB HDD drive or DVD? DR mode is only available if you are recording to Blu-Ray media or the built-in HDD. Other than that, I have no more suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion usually_quiet, and for your attempts to help me, but I am only recording to the HDD.

The recorder is obviously under warranty, as it is only a few days old, and before signing on to this forum I did email Panasonic Customer Care, but being Christmas I have had no reply in 5 days, although only one of those would have been a business day, and the next 3 days were still holidays, so I just hoped I might find someone who could give me a quick answer on the forum, without having to wait for Panasonic to come back to me.
    Barry
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. I have now solved the problem and this post can be closed.

Barry
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ducatiman39 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have now solved the problem and this post can be closed.

Barry
    That's great. Would you mind sharing the solution? Some day another party may come here looking for help with the same problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The solution was getting my mind into gear usually-quiet. I was mis-understanding the info I was seeing on screen and it took me all weekend to finally get my mind around the info I was looking at and understand that the recorder was in fact working correctly. So there was never anything wrong at all. Sorry to have wasted your time.
    Barry
    Quote Quote  
  9. Did you actually solve it Barry ? Or did you find that you had been sold a pup . Because that is what I think I have been sold .

I do not think I did my research properly I relied on Panasonic's good reputation .

Solid machine but I think all I can use my blue ray recording facilities for is to duplicate home videos that I have no desire to copy

any broadcast material that I want to keep has to block up the built in HDD capacity.

as for the speed the software It is unbelievable in this day and age.

I pray that someone will come along and tell me I am wrong.

Thanks to anyone that reads this ( possible rant) and even more so if you can help

cheers Patrick
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply Patrick. My problem was all in me misinterpreting the information presented by the unit.
    When it had "Off" in brackets alongside DR I thought it meant just that, but I finally realised that what it was telling me was that the conversion from DR recording to other lower quality recording methods was off and that the recording would be retained in DR mode. So it was always doing what it was supposed to do.
    Regards,
    Barry
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks Barry

I am delighted to say that I have managed to get where I needed or that part of it at least.
    It would seem that
    This particular idiot was un-able to follow the guide.
    These things are so much easier to follow when you know what you are doing in the first place.

most grateful to your post otherwise I would probably still been wandering around in the dark in six months time

I have the DMR BS -780 but I am sure they all follow the same general menus.

cheers Patrick
    Quote Quote