VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using Aegisub to create a .SRT subtitle file. One character, the percent sign ("%") does not want to print on screen. I am using VidCoder to hardcode the subtitles.

I have tried a backslash before ("\%"), brackets around it ("{%}"), brackets and backslash ("{\%}"), and I've run out of ideas. I'm thinking it could be VidCoder but I'm not sure.

Have you guys seen this before? Any info will help thanks.

EDIT: I just tried percent sign subtitles in AVC. It worked. Obviously, it's not the best converter, so I want to keep away from it.

So now I guess I need ANOTHER converter.. D: Any suggestions? I need one that will limit size by MB and burn in subtitles. Thanks!
    Last edited by user115; 25th Dec 2015 at 03:13.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've no problems. Are you using the same character encoding when exporting in Aegisub and importing in Vidcoder? Perhaps upload your subs.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VidcoderScrdump.png
Views:	291
Size:	921.3 KB
ID:	34976  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by user115 View Post
    I am using Aegisub to create a .SRT subtitle file. One character, the percent sign ("%") does not want to print on screen. I am using VidCoder to hardcode the subtitles.

I have tried a backslash before ("\%"), brackets around it ("{%}"), brackets and backslash ("{\%}"), and I've run out of ideas. I'm thinking it could be VidCoder but I'm not sure.

Have you guys seen this before? Any info will help thanks.

EDIT: I just tried percent sign subtitles in AVC. It worked. Obviously, it's not the best converter, so I want to keep away from it.

So now I guess I need ANOTHER converter.. D: Any suggestions? I need one that will limit size by MB and burn in subtitles. Thanks!
    Maybe DOS principle? i.e. %%
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I've no problems. Are you using the same character encoding when exporting in Aegisub and importing in Vidcoder? Perhaps upload your subs.
    Oh shit I figured it out...

It's the FONT! The font apparently doesn't contain the "%" character. What kinda font desn't have the "%" character???

How do I figure out what font VidCoder is using? Or is it in Aegisub where the font is set? Thanks for testing it or I never would have known!

Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Maybe DOS principle? i.e. %%
    I'm not familiar. Is it the first disappears, and the second appears?
    Quote Quote  
  5. The percent character is often used as an "escape" character -- ie, a flag the tells it to treat the following character(s) not as text but as a special command (to re-position the cursor, for example). When that's the case, %% is often used to print the percent sign.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I've no problems. Are you using the same character encoding when exporting in Aegisub and importing in Vidcoder? Perhaps upload your subs.
    I just tested a lot of things. I tried to delete all my default settings and trier again. No luck. I tried many variations of changing the font and settings. Still no luck. I even downloaded a brand new Aegisub. STILL no luck.

It says my font is Ariel, but comes out like a futuristic font. What can I do?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The percent character is often used as an "escape" character -- ie, a flag the tells it to treat the following character(s) not as text but as a special command (to re-position the cursor, for example). When that's the case, %% is often used to print the percent sign.
    I will try that, but I really think it is the font. What should I do? The program says it's Ariel, but it's not when it prints.

EDIT: Just tested: no luck, gotta be the font. Help lol

EDIT2: It doesn't let me change the font at all. I can change it to anything, and it prints out the same other font.
    Last edited by user115; 25th Dec 2015 at 18:48.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am using Aegisub to create a .SRT subtitle file
    It's the FONT!
    .srt doesn't have formatting for font to use? Again

Perhaps upload your subs.
    .srt is merely a text file using some character encoding. When you export it from Aegisub you select the encoding to be used and similar when importing in Vidcoder (both default to UTF-8).
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 12_26_2015 , 1_50_20 AM.png
Views:	356
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	34982  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 12_26_2015 , 1_51_38 AM.png
Views:	325
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	34983  

Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I am using Aegisub to create a .SRT subtitle file
    It's the FONT!
    .srt doesn't have formatting for font to use? Again

Perhaps upload your subs.
    .srt is merely a text file using some character encoding. When you export it from Aegisub you select the encoding to be used and similar when importing in Vidcoder (both default to UTF-8).
    I don't have any specific subs I'm working with. I found out when doing something else. I just am trying to see if I can get them to work.

If .SRT doesn't have a specific font attached, where is it getting the font from? And yes I export and import in UTF-8, so it is consistent. If I can redirect the font to another one it will work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The font used with .srt is determined by the application. Some let you select the font in setting.

If you want to control the font used for subs you should use .ass subs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    The font used with .srt is determined by the application. Some let you select the font in setting.

Okay, but how could I "Burn In" the subtitles then? I also need to control video MB size. Can you use .ass in VidCoder?

EDIT: I just found "Freemake Video Converter". I am going to try it, but what do you guys think? Do you like it? Have you used it?

EDIT2: Ugh, it doesn't recognize any font. Looks really shit tbh. But it works with .ass so it's unfortunate...

Anyone have a good one?
    Last edited by user115; 25th Dec 2015 at 21:02.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    The font used with .srt is determined by the application. Some let you select the font in setting.

BINGO! You helped me figure it out, but in another forum: [HERE]

VidCoder can take .ass subtitles, but they have to be muxed. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post

BINGO! You helped me figure it out, but in another forum: [HERE]

VidCoder can take .ass subtitles, but they have to be muxed. Thanks!

EDIT: Just a note for anyone with this sort of problem:

1. Don't use .SRT, use .ASS muxed with MKVMerge.
    2. Check your Font first on a simple, small file. I say this because "Arial" font was not working for me, but "Times New Roman" worked perfectly.
    3. Use "VidCoder". Handbrake only limits size (directly using MB) in version 0.95, and doesn't always burn subtitles. VidCoder limits file size by MB in current versions and burns subtitles in.
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post

Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

EDIT2: Oh no...

VidCoder betrayed me...

The video has subtitles, looks very similar quality to the original (I'm not sure if there is a difference, and if so is the re-encode worse), but the audio is terrible. Bummer. I guess I'll try my luck with Handbrake 0.95 burning in subs... I tried before .ASS in the .MKV and it didn't work... One more go at it...

EDIT3: Damn... Handbrake 0.95 does not burn in subtitles, muxed or not. Sucks. But I checked the video and it looks good/the same. So I'll just mux the new video (with burned subs) with the original audio and run it through Handbrake. I've never had audio issues with that program...but anything's possible

Do you guys know of a program that:
    -burns in subtitles (preferably any and all formats, muxed or not)
    -has a "Target Size (MB)" feature (controlling size of video)
    -has good audio/video quality very consistently

I don't mind doing this whole game if I need to. But if there is an easier way, why not?
    Last edited by user115; 26th Dec 2015 at 05:35.
    Quote Quote  
  14. just for info: what's so bad about SRT? Not the cars from Dodge, the subtitle file format
    I'm happy with SRT for softcoding. I assume to get the specific font when displaying, but that's the good one from SRT, the player can be configured.
    Why do you hardcode subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    just for info: what's so bad about SRT? Not the cars from Dodge, the subtitle file format
    I'm happy with SRT for softcoding. I assume to get the specific font when displaying, but that's the good one from SRT, the player can be configured.
    Why do you hardcode subtitles?
    There's nothing wrong with .SRT, I use them and softcoding frequently. But for this specific video, I wanted subtitles hardcoded. I mostly use hardcoded subtitles to watch on my TV, or burn files to a DVD without having to implement softsub feature.

It all depends what you want to do. It's just a per-project preference.
    Quote Quote