VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have the three VHS players named in my title and would like to know which one is most preferred and would be classed as best for playback of old VHS tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There is no definitive answer: anyone who picks one of these three over the others and tells you its "best" can only speak from their own experience. Every tape collection is different, every example of every VCR model performs differently. This goes double for the rarefied models you are asking about: when it comes to VHS vcrs, the rarer, more esoteric, and expensive they were, the more inconsistent, unreliable and flakey they behaved. It all comes down to individual condition of the VCR and how it interacts with your particular tapes. There is no "best": VHS is a junk analog format running off unstable mechanisms prone to drift. The staggeringly over-hyped TBC/DNR feature in these units is also wildly unpredictable: more often than not, the "improvements" they provide come at the cost of added artifacts. About the only distinction you can make between these VCRs is that the TBC/DNR and heads/transport in the Panasonic will react differently playing the same tape than the two JVCs. Of the two JVCs, you may see a slight edge using the DVHS because it is newer with a more calibrated transport (but again, depends on condition and prior use by prior owners).

Unless you have some pressing need to rid yourself of two VCRs, I recommend you keep all three until such time you finish digitizing your entire tape library. All three of these are very scarce in excellent condition: you would have a difficult time replacing them if you change your mind later. At the very least, keep two: the Panasonic and your favorite JVC. The two brands are complementary: due to mechanical and circuit differences, each will track some tapes better than the other.

If you aren't planning to digitize your tapes, and simply want to keep a deck for playing the tapes directly on your TV: all bets are off. Choose you favorite and sell the other two. If it were me, I'd sell all three for big money and then buy a couple "normal" Panasonics that would last the rest of my life. These "top of the line" VCRs are way too valuable for pedestrian direct playback, and way too unpredictable/unreliable for long-term casual use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does OP own these decks or is he planning on buying one ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    To be honest all my digitizing is done. I am very aware that the three models i have are very very rare now and will command big money.

They are all in full working order. They may not be in the best of cosmetic conditions but they are all in excellent working condition and come with original remotes and instruction manuals.

Hey if someone makes a good enough offer for the three then i would sell them. Any takers?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    Does OP own these decks or is he planning on buying one ??

I own all three decks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there,

I am in the market for a S-VHS player, how much would you sell the HR-S9700 for assuming it's still for sale? Do you know how many hours the heads have done? Has it ever been serviced? Are you the original owner?
    Quote Quote