VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR112D external DVD burner for about a decade now. The drive is on its last legs since I have to use a paper clip to open the tray and that's getting to be a pain. I have the drive in a 5.25" External Subsystem enclosure (that's the name on the top but I don't know the brand). I'm running this on an old desktop (still running Snow Leopard because its too old to update). I would like to replace the drive with an external Blu-Ray burner. My needs are as follows:

1. Rip DVD-R soccer games to Region 0 with MTR.
    2. Burn DVD-R
    3. Burn soccer games to BluRay as data discs for the purposes of storage

I'm still using Toast 10 and connecting via Firewire. My sense is that Toast 10 can burn Blu Ray data but not Blu Ray movies, which is fine. I also have no need to play Blu Ray movies on the computer, just burn data for backup. I expect that at some point this computer will die and so it would be good to have a Blu Ray burner and enclosure that would be able to carry over to a new computer setup. Right now, though, this computer does what it needs to do and I have a new laptop for work and more advanced computing needs.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    Last edited by danielmak; 21st Dec 2015 at 19:19.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This one has Firewire 400, Firewire 800 and USB 3.0 interfaces: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F8BDRW14/

It is probably better not to mention your trading activities here. Video Help does have warez rules.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out this drive. And I edited my other post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That drive does look nice.
    Can't go wrong with OWC.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ended up going with the same enclosure but ordered a Panasonic (BDR-209DBK) drive from since I got nearly 10 years out of the Panasonic DVD burner and I've had some problems with DVDs sent to me by friends who were using an LG (which was pictured in the link above). Thanks again for that link; the info was helpful. I ended up spending slightly more, but, again, like the way the Panasonic worked for me.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRSFW8U3/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing you mean Pioneer with that BDR model number. If so, I think you'll like the BDR-209DBK.
    I've got two of them and they seem to work well and are a bit faster for reading than my Pioneer BDR-208 and BDR-203.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Width and height are of course the standard dimensions for 5 1/4" drives, but Pioneer's Blu-Ray drives are 1 cm deeper than LG's. I hope the enclosure can take a larger drive.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Jan 2016 at 15:12. Reason: removed repeated word
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Pioneer. I'll report back if it fits. If there's a problem, I'll have to seek an alternative and perhaps put the Pioneer in my current enclosure that still works fine, just requires an attachment to link the old Firewire speed coming out of the enclosure to the faster Firewire on the iMac.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danielmak View Post
    Yes, Pioneer. I'll report back if it fits. If there's a problem, I'll have to seek an alternative and perhaps put the Pioneer in my current enclosure that still works fine, just requires an attachment to link the old Firewire speed coming out of the enclosure to the faster Firewire on the iMac.
    I don't know if Pioneer's DVD drives were also deeper than other DVD drives or not. I do know that Pioneer's Blu-Ray drives are deeper than usual because I looked up the dimensions for my Pioneer drive to see if it would fit in my HTPC case. (I looked up the dimensions again. The difference is actually more than 1 cm. Pioneer says their Blu-Ray drives are 180 mm deep. LG says their drives are 165 mm deep.)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...but none of them has a firewire connection like the OP's current external drive. Firewire is the reason I went to OWC. USB external BD drives are common. Firewire external BD drives are not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That Pioneer drive fits in the enclosure so all is good. And the fan is so much quieter than the enclosure I used for the DVD drive, so that's a nice bonus. The only issue is that the enclosure is a real pain to open when first adding the drive. It's a hard plastic and feels a bit flimsy yet sealed tight. Hopefully, I won't have to open it again and I'll be good for nearly 10 years like the old drive.
    Quote Quote